Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:59 AM   #21

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
Cope, you do know that we're going to tease you about not waiting when the new Sonys finally make it to market, right? ;-)

Sony does have a history of releasing cameras with new sensors ahead of the competition that they sell the sensors to from time to time with non-DSLR models. Now that they're also in the DSLR market, only time will tell what they'll do.

He can always come back to the "bright side". "Copefully" he will see the light. LOL
Careful, your mean streak is showing.:lol:And I Mean it.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:31 AM   #22

I don't think he is coming back. I know what happened to his 7D!~

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
Cope, you do know that we're going to tease you about not waiting when the new Sonys finally make it to market, right? ;-)

Sony does have a history of releasing cameras with new sensors ahead of the competition that they sell the sensors to from time to time with non-DSLR models. Now that they're also in the DSLR market, only time will tell what they'll do.

He can always come back to the "bright side". "Copefully" he will see the light. LOL
billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:29 AM   #23

Bill,

I wish I could have kept the 7D, but my pockets aren't that deep. The D200 arrived yesterday. It is built like the Maxxum 9, but controls, like the counter-clockwise lens mount rotation, are all different than the 7D. Some make more sense, and some don't. It will all come out in the wash, but I have said for a long time that no one has the eregonomics of Minolta. Enjoy your 7D, it isn't even broken in yet.

billinaz wrote:
Quote:
I don't think he is coming back. I know what happened to his 7D!~

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:

Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:51 AM   #24

It's all good.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:59 AM   #25

Since you sold your 7D, I guess I will miss out on those side-by-sides. From my experience, a lot of user reviews are based on emotion and hearsay, rather than cold facts, that's why I was curious. Again, based on the imaging-resource.com comparisons, the differences are pretty minor. One thing I noticed is that the D200 seems to turn yellows into orange. Do you find the same?

Anyway, congratulations on your new camera. I hope you will be happy with your decision.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:47 PM   #26

He and I will go shoot. That way we can keep perspective on it all :-)
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:53 PM   #27

Sounds like a good idea. Do you know each other? I see you live both in Houston. I am definitely looking forward to the shootout.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:11 PM   #28

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a good idea. Do you know each other? I see you live both in Houston. I am definitely looking forward to the shootout.
Rainer,

Yes, we have met and gotten together for a couple of lunches. There are a couple other KM shooters, oneof whom is the one who inspired me to get the D200.

I can tell you so far that the D200 is well built, and the ergonomics are different than the 7D, but leeeearnable. The lens mounts counter clockwise, and many buttons are just the opposite from the 5D/7D, but it is a good system so far.I said before switching that no one has ergonomics like Minolta, and I wa right.

I got my 60mm 2.8 macro this evening, so now I have 60mm 2.8 Nikon, 28-75 2.8 Tamron and 70-200 2.8 Sigma. About all I want now is a 50mm 1.8, but they are inexpensive and plentiful I should have a chance to shoot Easter Sunday if the weather cooperates, but we have rain in the forecast.

Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:30 AM   #29

Cope wrote:
"i just decided Friday that I wanted to change. A friend of mine just bought a D-200, but is able to keep his 7D. He says the differences are much more than marginal, but that the ergonomics of the D-200 are different but compliment the 7D."
[line]Sure, Cope, blame me!

Here's my story. A friend asked for a DSLR recommendation for baseball and watersports photography. I recommended the D200 and told him that it was what I would buy right now should one of my KMs die. So he bought one and was getting the best baseball pics I'd seen (after a little coaching).

You can guess what happened next. My 5D died (again). So, after a brief ceremony, I ordered the D200 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM. I "need" two bodies (one to lend out) to get pics for the baseball and basketball websites that I do for my HS teams, so my 7D is sticking around.

The D200 is terrific in terms of resolution, AF speed, accuracy, and tracking, AE, and just amazing ergonomics. It's not perfect. I miss the external controls of the 7D. [Digging in the menus to change memorized settings is a drag.] ISO 3200 is noisier in the shadows, although the in focus subject somehow looks good. I usually don't have to go higher than ISO 2000, though, with the 2.8 lens. The 10 MP resolution gives me lots of cropping room for shots to be used for the Web.

I had intended to wait for Sony, but that didn't work out. But I'm not bailing. In fact I added the wonderful Vivitar Series I APO 100-400 to my Minolta collection. It's great for those outfield shots - in daylight - and I don't have to crop much. I'm anxious to see what both Sony and Nikon do next.
garykohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:06 AM   #30

garykohs wrote:
Quote:
Cope wrote:
"i just decided Friday that I wanted to change. A friend of mine just bought a D-200, but is able to keep his 7D. He says the differences are much more than marginal, but that the ergonomics of the D-200 are different but compliment the 7D."

[line]
Sure, Cope, blame me!

Here's my story. A friend asked for a DSLR recommendation for baseball and watersports photography. I recommended the D200 and told him that it was what I would buy right now should one of my KMs die. So he bought one and was getting the best baseball pics I'd seen (after a little coaching).

You can guess what happened next. My 5D died (again). So, after a brief ceremony, I ordered the D200 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM. I "need" two bodies (one to lend out) to get pics for the baseball and basketball websites that I do for my HS teams, so my 7D is sticking around.

The D200 is terrific in terms of resolution, AF speed, accuracy, and tracking, AE, and just amazing ergonomics. It's not perfect. I miss the external controls of the 7D. [Digging in the menus to change memorized settings is a drag.] ISO 3200 is noisier in the shadows, although the in focus subject somehow looks good. I usually don't have to go higher than ISO 2000, though, with the 2.8 lens. The 10 MP resolution gives me lots of cropping room for shots to be used for the Web.

I had intended to wait for Sony, but that didn't work out. But I'm not bailing. In fact I added the wonderful Vivitar Series I APO 100-400 to my Minolta collection. It's great for those outfield shots - in daylight - and I don't have to crop much. I'm anxious to see what both Sony and Nikon do next.
This simplyan extension of chronic lens addiction for Cope. He simply ran out of affordable lenses that he could buy for the KM mount so he had to change systems. The good news is by the timeshe maxxes out on Nikon, the new generation Sony's will be out and he can back over to the bright side. :blah:
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote