Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 1, 2007, 5:04 PM   #1

I have decided to go Nikon, and wanted to tell you guys I have really enjoyed this forum for the last year. Seems like the Minolta/KM/Sony forums are friendlier than the competition on every board I have visited. Good luck with the future and Sony.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:03 PM   #2
Administrator

OK Cope.... Tell me this is an April Fool's joke. :-)

Actually, Nikon makes good gear. My film stuff was mostly Nikon, and I've still got one body left (just an old N4004s my wife likes to use). I've also owned multiple Nikon digital cameras (and still have an old Coolpix 950 that works fine).

But, I personally won't buy a newer Nikon DSLR because they encrypt metadata related to white balance in raw files from most newer models, in what I believe is an attempt to stifle competition in raw conversion software in order to sell Nikon Capture. So, I'd be more likely to buy a new camera from almost any other manufacturer instead. It's a matter of principle.

But, otherwise, they're OK. They also have a good flash system.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:18 PM   #3

cope wrote:
Quote:
I have decided to go Nikon, and wanted to tell you guys I have really enjoyed this forum for the last year. Seems like the Minolta/KM/Sony forums are friendlier than the competition on every board I have visited. Good luck with the future and Sony.
don't leave - see: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22689292

:|
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:59 PM   #4

POOR GUY..
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:29 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
OK Cope.... Tell me this is an April Fool's joke. :-)

Actually, Nikon makes good gear. My film stuff was mostly Nikon, and I've still got one body left (just an old N4004s my wife likes to use). I've also owned multiple Nikon digital cameras (and still have an old Coolpix 950 that works fine).

But, I personally won't buy a newer Nikon DSLR because they encrypt metadata related to white balance in raw files from most newer models, in what I believe is an attempt to stifle competition in raw conversion software in order to sell Nikon Capture. So, I'd be more likely to buy a new camera from almost any other manufacturer instead. It's a matter of principle.

But, otherwise, they're OK. They also have a good flash system.
Jim, no joke. I ordered a D-200 and a couple of lenses. I appreciate your efforts as moderator, and Ste's efforts keeping this place going. I had already made the decision Friday afternoon, but I was feeling better whena Canon 5D shooter told me he had swapped cameras for a couple of weeks with a friend who had a D-200. He said that if the D-200 took Canon mount lenses that he would sell his 5D to get one.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:47 PM   #6
Administrator

The D200 is a well liked camera and you'll likely enjoy it. It's too bad Sony has been dragging it's heels on getting new models "out the door". But, that's probably a good thing for the long run, so that they work out any "kinks" first.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:09 AM   #7

Hey cope I just saw your post on the other forum. Hate to see a familiar member leave. I don't know how much research you've done (probably alot reading all your post) but the new Fuji DSLR uses the D200 body but has a greater dynamic range. Just thought thatsounds tempting.

Anyhow enjoy Nikon. And I will definitly be checking out your postings at the other place.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:32 AM   #8

Mike, thanks for the reply. I still think about your fishing picture.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:49 AM   #9

Good luck, Mike. What prompted you to make that decision? Personally, I would not move to the Canon or Nikon camp until they have built-in anti-shake. I think they'll catch up soon. Other than that the field is wide open and there are going to be tremendous breakthroughs over the next couple of years. The new features of the Sonys that are coming out (e.g. 10 shotsin 1/2 sec. with an up mirror) are definitely setting a new standard. By the end 2008 you'll be able to buy the Sony A10 for probably about $500. I'll wait it out, rather than starting from scratch investing thousands of dollars into a new system that will be outdated soon. And the differences are truly just marginal. 99% is the photographer, not the camera.

Keep us posted about your experiences with the Nikon D200. It sure is a nice camera. Send some comparisons which I hope will back up your decision.

One camera I got my eye on is the Sigma SD14. Those samples sure look fine: http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/index.html. The 3-layer CCD has a great future, I think. Maybe Sony will release a camera featuring it.

Don't be a stranger.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:09 AM   #10

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Good luck, Mike. What prompted you to make that decision? Personally, I would not move to the Canon or Nikon camp until they have built-in anti-shake. I think they'll catch up soon. Other than that the field is wide open and there are going to be tremendous breakthroughs over the next couple of years. The new features of the Sonys that are coming out (e.g. 10 shotsin 1/2 sec. with an up mirror) are definitely setting a new standard. By the end 2008 you'll be able to buy the Sony A10 for probably about $500. I'll wait it out, rather than starting from scratch investing thousands of dollars into a new system that will be outdated soon. And the differences are truly just marginal. 99% is the photographer, not the camera.

Keep us posted about your experiences with the Nikon D200. It sure is a nice camera. Send some comparisons which I hope will back up your decision.

One camera I got my eye on is the Sigma SD14. Those samples sure look fine: http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/index.html. The 3-layer CCD has a great future, I think. Maybe Sony will release a camera featuring it.

Don't be a stranger.

Rainer
Rainer, Cope, not Mike. I have been very happy with Minolta since 1976, and it is a bittersweet change. i just decided Friday that I wanted to change. A friend of mine just bought a D-200, but is able to keep his 7D. He says the differences are much more than marginal, but that the ergonomics of the D-200 are different but compliment the 7D. I will stay around, and good luck to all of you with the new Sony offerings.