Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:03 AM   #21

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
In my experience, it is best to shoot RAW, slightly underexposed. Color space Adobe 1998, saturation -1, contrast +1, and then in photoshop you can open the raw and generally after color correction and white balance the picture pops out very nicely.
Ummmm, I shoot RAW so nothing is lost or changed by the camera...I also shoot slightly on tthe high-side of the exposure to insure I used the full capacity of the sensors dynamic range..........YMMV, but it works for me.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:24 AM   #22

That red flower looks great. Crisp, sharp, rich, saturated. I don't know how much more "pop" you are looking for.Simplyadd a little contrast, sharpness, saturation as needed to some of your pictures. Generally I prefer a natural reproduction over some (lower end)digicams which artificially exaggerate colors which makes it look unnatural.

I have my KM5D at Natural with +1 sharpening and fine jpeg. Even at "standard" I still get very nice results. Here is a shot from last weekend without any processing whatsoever, a "standard" jpeg, Natural mode, +1 sharpening. Lens was the KM28-75 f2.8.

By the way to get the exif info you can simply right click onan image, go to Properties/Sumary/Advanced and it gives you the Exif. I rarelylose the exif infoeven after, resizing, editing, and copying the image.

Rainer

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:44 AM   #23

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I agree with your keeping the contrast and sharpening down and counting on post processing to get the extra punch. I always shoot with minimum contrast and sharpening to get the most dynamic range and to avoid enhancing sharpening artifacts in post processing. Since the images are going to come out pretty flat anyway I shoot with the saturation lowered as well, but I don't think it makes a big difference.

I have a Photoshop action I bulk run to give them a little punch, but I keep the originals as well for any advanced post processing I want to do.

If you don't have an image editor I would recommend going to Ebay and getting Paint Shop Pro X or XI. You can pick up the CD-only version of X for under $20 and XI for under $30. They are both legal and can be registered with Corel. The reason I recommend them is that they are the cheapest thing you can get that lets you make an action – PSP calls them scripts. Once you get an action to tweak up your images you can bulk run it and store the tweaked images in a sub-folder with the originals untouched.

I usually use Photoshop but was curious what PSP X would do to your cat. I'm usually disdainful of anything automatic but the PSP photo fix did an interesting job. I tweaked it a little, but it is basically the PSP "One Step Photo Fix". Edit: That doesn't mean PSP doesn't have all theadvanced tools - it does.

Photoshop did a similar job with Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, and Auto Color. Just wondering if this is closer to the actual color of the cat. Your original had an overall greenish-yellowish cast, making the cat appear more brown than in this one.

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:11 PM   #24

rduve wrote:
Quote:
That red flower looks great. Crisp, sharp, rich, saturated. I don't know how much more "pop" you are looking for.Simplyadd a little contrast, sharpness, saturation as needed to some of your pictures. Generally I prefer a natural reproduction over some (lower end)digicams which artificially exaggerate colors which makes it look unnatural.

I have my KM5D at Natural with +1 sharpening and fine jpeg. Even at "standard" I still get very nice results. Here is a shot from last weekend without any processing whatsoever, a "standard" jpeg, Natural mode, +1 sharpening. Lens was the KM28-75 f2.8.

By the way to get the exif info you can simply right click onan image, go to Properties/Sumary/Advanced and it gives you the Exif. I rarelylose the exif infoeven after, resizing, editing, and copying the image.

Rainer

I liked your modeling pictures much better

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:27 AM   #25

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

Rainer

I liked your modeling pictures much better

Yeah, but this is the g-rated "cats, dogs, and flowers forum"...

:G