Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:02 PM   #1

I need some advice on what i may be doing wrong & how to correct it, i look at others pics there crystal clear and have that pop to them, mine there just blah plain jane & it's really bugging me why, i realize lighting, time of day, aperture, shutter speed, iso all come into play but i've tried all types of combinations and none yet have led to any success, even tripod.

Now, the camera is aminolta 7D, lenses all minolta, glass good, blades good, operator well so so.

Should i post these pics in here the minolta section so other minolta users can see what's going on to help or the critiques section.

Here's another thing, naturally some are going to want to see the exif, now i'm using dimage as my processor i guess you would call it, when pics are saved to desktop poof goes the exif, saved, save as jpg but with a different name/title so as to not change the original, so how in the world will i get the exif to show.
joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2

Hey Joee

Definately post some examples so we can take a look at your results. Let us know what lense, focal length, iso and aperature you're at. I'd think that's enough info for some one to help you out.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:01 AM   #3

Thisis from a ways back, don't have the f, or speed anymore but the lens was 100-200 mm minolta set at 200 mayby a shade below that.

It's just not super clear & lacks something, the colors are blah, could be i just take plain boring pics also lol.
Attached Images

Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:12 AM   #4

This one same thing, minolta 100-200 mm, set at 100mm, iso 200, speed & f i don't have, both days were overcast if i remimber right but there just lifeless i guess you could say, both pics i ran through paint shop & tweaked a bit but still just plain.

I took some tulips today with my 50mm, i'll have the full info on those of which i'll post later.
Attached Images

Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:10 AM   #5

joee wrote:
Quote:
Thisis from a ways back, don't have the f, or speed anymore ...
If you have the original image, the EXIF data will contain all of that information. If you don't have the original image, you have thrown away your "digital negative" and are more limited in what you can do to add more "pop" to those images.

Ding about with saturation, contrast, and sharpening. To start with, do it with your photo editor. When you become familiar with what those settings do, change the settings in your camera.

One issue to beware of is that if those settings are overdone in the camera, they cannot be undone without degrading the image. That is why the default settings for dSLRs are a bit lower than most folks like for most photos. That allows
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:40 AM   #6

joee,

using almost any image editing software (i used Digital Image Pro 9):

contrast +15

unsharp mask 12-50-0 (a 'standard' contrast boost for 'pop')

result:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:45 AM   #7

joee,

using almost any image editing software (i used Digital Image Pro 9):

contrast +15

unsharp mask 12-50-0 (a 'standard' contrast boost for 'pop')

result:

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:13 AM   #8

Also are you shooting RAW or JPEG?
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:17 PM   #9

looks like my cat that got ran over before christmas:sad:
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:22 PM   #10

I was shooting raw but with a 1 gig card it limits the amount of pics so i went back to jpg fine then save to tiff so i still have my negative to edit later, what i can't figure out is how to save/capture my exif info or imprint it with the pic so others can actually see it along with the pic.

I did manage to find the originals of the pics up now, the cat in woods was :

shot raw

200mm from a 100-200mm lens

F13

400 shutter speed

aperture priority

iso 800 i think it was cloudy & getting fairly dull out, could have dropped my f some or slowed my shutter to pick up a bit more light but that's one of those things you think of after you get home

brightness value of 8

exposure comp 0

metered multi seg

contrast, saturation, sharpness set at normal

color mode natural

so mayby that will tell you a bit more to see what i can do to improve, they do look better bumped up in contrast, radius & clipping in unsharpen mask i have yet to figure out.