Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:04 PM   #11

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
The Beercan in an out-of-production lens that Minolta made. Its actually a 70-210mm (not 300mm) and it's selling point id the constant F4 throughout it's focal range. It has a 4.56 on Dyxum.

They were selling cheap last year (<$100) until word spread on these forums and they are now going for $200-250. Capitalism at it's finest!
I said "Big Beercan", which is the name given to the 75-300mm lens which is of similiar build to the 70-210mm and these days every lens Minolta made is considered out of production unless you consider some of the rebadged models.

You can still pick up the 70-210 for about 150 on EBay, but you have to be careful on the condition.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:18 PM   #12

TCav wrote:
Quote:
vclipse wrote:
Quote:
TCav, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for this new lens?
Once again, the one I thought I was getting was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 I,but what I received was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 New.

I paid $79 for it.

KEH still shows a "I" in their inventory, but now I'm not so sure it's really a "I". If I can't have a "I", then I'd rather have a "D". So either way, while the "New" seems to be a fine lens, I think I'd rather have something else.
The link to the "I" looks like the Big Beercan. I'm not sure I have them all covered but I know of about5 models alltogether. There is the Big Beercan, and there are also models known as I, II,"New" and the "D".

I think the one you have gets decent reviews and the price you paid isn't bad. I paid less than 50 dollars for the "D" brand new.It doesn't seem to rate that well and gets mixed reviews. I don't use it much as I only bought it because it was cheap and I have other lenses that offer more range or performance but it isn't that bad.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:52 PM   #13

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
The link to the "I" looks like the Big Beercan. I'm not sure I have them all covered but I know of about5 models alltogether. There is the Big Beercan, and there are also models known as I, II,"New" and the "D".
Acording to mhohner.de, there's the original, "New", "II" and "D". (The "D" going on to be rebadged as aSony.) The original is bigger and much heavier, has 13elements in 11 groups,9 aperature blades and uses a clip-on lens hood. All subsequent versions have 13 elements in 10 groups, 7 aperature blades and use a bayonet type lens hood.

I beleive this original version is called the "Big Beercan", and is often given the "I" suffix to distinguish it from the the suffixes "New", "II" and "D" (such as when they appear in Dyxum.com.)
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:29 AM   #14

TCav wrote:
Quote:
vclipse wrote:
Quote:
TCav, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for this new lens?
Once again, the one I thought I was getting was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 I,but what I received was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 New.

I paid $79 for it.

KEH still shows a "I" in their inventory, but now I'm not so sure it's really a "I". If I can't have a "I", then I'd rather have a "D". So either way, while the "New" seems to be a fine lens, I think I'd rather have something else.
for 79 clams, i vote for keep it. i bought my D series 75-300 the same way meanstreak did - CC close out for 40 dollars or so. it spends very little time strapped to my camera, but it goes with me wherever i go because its relatively small and light. focusing is really slow and it hunts like nobody's business but when you need the reach in a pinch, it's hard to beat.

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:24 AM   #15

TCav wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Acording to mhohner.de, there's the original, "New", "II" and "D". (The "D" going on to be rebadged as aSony.) The original is bigger and much heavier, has 13elements in 11 groups,9 aperature blades and uses a clip-on lens hood. All subsequent versions have 13 elements in 10 groups, 7 aperature blades and use a bayonet type lens hood.

I beleive this original version is called the "Big Beercan", and is often given the "I" suffix to distinguish it from the the suffixes "New", "II" and "D" (such as when they appear in Dyxum.com.)
According to the person I've been talking to at KEH they use the "I" designation to mean the second generation lens. Thefirst generation (Big Beercan) has no additional designation letters when listed by KEH.

The "I" or "New" version gets a slightly lower score at dyxum but at $79 it looks like a bargin. I watched a Big Beercan go on eBay last night for $229. The other lens that I'm looking at is the 100-300mm APO. These go for $300 and up. I already have the non-APO version of this lens and dislike it because of the zoom creep. So "son of big beercan" looks very attractive.

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:05 AM   #16

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
According to the person I've been talking to at KEH they use the "I" designation to mean the second generation lens. Thefirst generation (Big Beercan) has no additional designation letters when listed by KEH.

The "I" or "New" version gets a slightly lower score at dyxum but at $79 it looks like a bargin. I watched a Big Beercan go on eBay last night for $229. The other lens that I'm looking at is the 100-300mm APO. These go for $300 and up. I already have the non-APO version of this lens and dislike it because of the zoom creep. So "son of big beercan" looks very attractive.
Yeah. I've been talking to them also. Neither Dyxum.com nor mhohner.de refer to a "I", so I thought KEH's "I" would be the original that Dyxum.com and mhohner.de do talk about. I guess this might happen when you buy used off a website.

The KM 75-300 "I" is sharper than anything else in my limited collection, but the CA is pretty bad at 300mm. My KM 18-200 is softer all around, and has some CA at 200mm, but nothing like what I get on the "I".

I've got a "D" coming, and I'll see how that does. At the very least, the coatings should be at least 10 years newer, and that might help with the CA.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:39 PM   #17

I just received the "D". It's slightly sharper than "whatevertheheckthisisI'vealreadygot", but the CA is about the same.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:58 PM   #18

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I just received the "D". It's slightly sharper than "whatevertheheckthisisI'vealreadygot", but the CA is about the same.
TCav,

Can you post a couple of test images that shows the CA? So now you have two lenses that you sound a little dubious about. Are you going to get the original version now?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:33 PM   #19

This is a small version of a test pattern I put together in Visio. (Hint: Don't stare at it for very long.)

(I would appreciate any comments anyone might have about this target.)

I printed this out at max res on high quality glossy photo paper, hung it at the height of my camera while mounted on my tripod. I set the self-timer to 2 seconds, and took shot after shot, varying only the aperature and the focal length. (An interesting way to spend an afternoon.) (Metrology is my life. :?)

Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:39 PM   #20

This is a small version of the test pattern taken from 3 meters away with "New" at max zoom. ISO 100. f/8.

(I know the white balance is off on these images. I wasn't worried about WB when I was taking these.)
Attached Images