Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:01 PM   #1

I purchased a lens that was advertised as a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 I, from KEH, but what I received was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 New.

Now, the "New" is a fine lens, and the first of several iterationsthat is still in production today (under Sony) and gets better than average marks from Dyxum and PopPhoto, while the "I" is an older design.But from the user reviews on Dyxum, it seems the "I" is sharper than the "New". So I orderd the "I".

But since I've had a chance to use the "New", it seems pretty sharp.

I'm still within the 60 day return policy. Should I keep it? Should I return it and get the "I"?

Does anyone have any experience with both of them, and can tell me whether or not I should return the one I have and get the one I ordered?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:35 PM   #2

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I purchased a lens that was advertised as a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 I, from KEH, but what I received was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 New.

Now, the "New" is a fine lens, and the first of several iterationsthat is still in production today (under Sony) and gets better than average marks from Dyxum and PopPhoto, while the "I" is an older design.But from the user reviews on Dyxum, it seems the "I" is sharper than the "New". So I orderd the "I".

But since I've had a chance to use the "New", it seems pretty sharp.

I'm still within the 60 day return policy. Should I keep it? Should I return it and get the "I"?

Does anyone have any experience with both of them, and can tell me whether or not I should return the one I have and get the one I ordered?
I'm not sure about the differnces between them but the best one is supposed the be the one called the "Big Beercan". Of course it's drawback is that it is heavy. I have one of the newer ones, I believe it is"D" series andI got itfrom Circuit City when they were clearing them out and it seems OK, but I have not compared it to any others. Is the one they sent cheaper than what you ordered?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Is the one they sent cheaper than what you ordered?
Thanks for responding.

They sent the one I ordered, but the one I ordered was listed as a "I", not a "New". They called it the wrong thing, so I ordered it thinking it was the right thing.

But after a few test shots, I'm impressed with it. If the Big Beercan is better still, then it must really be something.

Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:04 PM   #4

The Beercan in an out-of-production lens that Minolta made. Its actually a 70-210mm (not 300mm) and it's selling point id the constant F4 throughout it's focal range. It has a 4.56 on Dyxum.

They were selling cheap last year (<$100) until word spread on these forums and they are now going for $200-250. Capitalism at it's finest!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:31 PM   #5
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I'm still within the 60 day return policy.
The return policy from keh.com is 14 days from invoice date. The 60 days is a warranty on used lenses (they'll fix or replace a used lens if it breaks within 60 days of invoice date).

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aWarrantyPolicy

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:03 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The return policy from keh.com is 14 days from invoice date.
Oops.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:22 PM   #7

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
The Beercan in an out-of-production lens that Minolta made. Its actually a 70-210mm (not 300mm) and it's selling point id the constant F4 throughout it's focal range. It has a 4.56 on Dyxum.

They were selling cheap last year (<$100) until word spread on these forums and they are now going for $200-250. Capitalism at it's finest!
this is the "Big Beercan" : http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=52

TCav, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for this new lens?
vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:25 PM   #8

vclipse wrote:
Quote:
TCav, if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for this new lens?
Once again, the one I thought I was getting was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 I,but what I received was a Minolta AF 75-300/4.5-5.6 New.

I paid $79 for it.

KEH still shows a "I" in their inventory, but now I'm not so sure it's really a "I". If I can't have a "I", then I'd rather have a "D". So either way, while the "New" seems to be a fine lens, I think I'd rather have something else.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:02 PM   #9

TCav,

Do you haveany test shots from this lens that you would like to share with us?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:19 PM   #10

I have lots of test shots, but they're huge and I haven't gone through them all myself yet.