Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:45 AM   #1

Hello,

I have waited, literally years to get my first digital camera.
Initially I was going to get the 7D, but moved to Europe, just to find out that Sony bought Minolta...so I waited.

They came out with the alpha 100, and I expected a replacement for the 7D, but nothing came. (yes I know that 2 models were 'introduced' at PMA)

But cutting to the point.

I am choosing between Canon 400d and Sony Alpha.
They both have strong and weak points - and the fact is, I like the two knobs on the top of the sony...wonder if they will abandon it as their future models they showed at PMA suggest.

Here is my key question for all Alpah 100 owners

- Problem... I see that Minolta/Sony is riddled with problems
* black frame? (what the heck is this about, or do I even need to know with the alpha 100
* broken anti-shake randomly popping up.

I live in Hungary, and in all honesty dont really trust them to take back and repair the camera...cameras are already twice as expensive here. Try getting the Canon 5D for 2.7k, here it is 5k...The sony only recently hit the 1k price point.

So, tell me your horror stories, and even better, chip in if yours is fine.

- I truly do not like the canon 400d the way it feels (tested both in store)
- But I like looking through the viewfinder of it better...its clearer...sharper than sony...but maybe it wasnt adjusted properly, dont know. I do like it comes with a better zoom...that wasnt the case with the minolta 7d vs. the canon 20d back when I first looked.

Truly wish it had the solid feel of the minolta 7d, but the price is cheaper...guess you get plastic feel for that price range.

More over, I have been waiting to see if sony revamps the alpha 100...I know they didnt announce it...but they only announced new camera models...not upgrades to existing lines. Maybe sept will see a Alpha 100b revision or something. After all, the alpha is basically what they had already from the point and shoot, concerning sensor...sounds like they are rebuilding sensors...again, the noise at high isos was not like the minolta...the 6mp 7d was very competitive against the 20d canon 8mp in my opinion...but the alpha is from the point and shoot and looks similar quality.

so go for it, would love to hear from you guys...maybe I should wait till Oct.
After all, Im waiting on my new mac now that apple decided to postpone its OSX release from June to Oct.

Peace
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2

Is the price difference due to retailers looking for a larger profit or "taxes" added before sale.
If you are going to be using the Mac as indicated in your post.. have yu gone to the Mac store yet and checked the camera selections? If you do, you might get the impression Canon has the upper hand or let us say, a preference there.

From my past readings on the forum, going to the shops and filtering through the fan boy posts and the "newbie" sloths ( why not do a bit of research when all you have to do is play dumb ) I have gravitated to a smaller set of choices.
It appears Canon will win be the choice once a new version of the 30D appears
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3

thanks for the reply.

Couple of things with price...they are more expensive and the taxes make it worse. - the apple store in budapest isnt a 'true' apple store.
Just another example of pricing - I was looking at Adobe CS3 web premimum...it will be over 3k if I buy it here in Hungary.

I have tried to put my grubby little (big) hands on the different cameras.
There is a difference between what I want (Canon 5d) and what I can currently afford. (Again, I loved Minoltas double dials at the top vs. Canon)

Its frustrating to compare the two...sony is better in the hands as the canon 400d (xti) is so small. But canon take better pictures at high iso...but again, sony has me pretty much likeing their dual buttons.

Issue again is I know its time for a canon refresh...a 40d to replace the 30d.
(seriously a 10mp canon low end, with an 8mp above it...got to change. They did say 4 cameras would be released this year.)

But at the same time...I was banking on Sony...albeit it will be around sept before we know what will be released this year as price.

My last 'hope' was for a corrected alpha 100.

The thing that concerns me most is the 'black' frames people get from the minoltas...I can not tell if this is alpha related to.

But I have also seen anti-shake has been 'bugging' out on peoples cameras...oh, I can not afford that hassle in this country. ONly if I still lived in Atlanta...things would be smoother, at least on the digital front.

Again, thanks for the input, Im looking forward to hearing, as you said, past the 'fan' boy post - and getting some straight talk of issues, such as the sony 'flash' problem...I mean, how much of a problem is this truly?

Thanks again

Peace
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4

I listen to a lot of tech on podcast, especially MacBreak. it can be found in iTunes.. Leo Laporte. They discussed CS and were not thrilled as it is too big and performance is lags. Something to do, like windows, with making everything from Version 1 to current work. And price.. wow.... upgrade is OK if you must.... but then again how many are running a purchased version now

I owned a Sony FD-91, a .8 mp with IS. I loved it. Sold to a guy who works for me, he begged me for it.... still would have it o/w. Between the 2 you are looking at.. I would go with the Alpha. Great deals running here, camera of the year at Pop Photo mag. I liked it over the XTi, which my daughter owns.... seems to be too much plastic for me. I like the Lumix but the FZ 50 turns me off with the weird finish on the lens. Seems so off design I can't get by it. I appreciate form and function. Read the review on PP magazine and others. It is a great camera for the money, both are.
http://www.popphoto.com/camera_revie...dslr-a100.html
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5

dalen wrote:
Quote:
- I truly do not like the canon 400d the way it feels (tested both in store)
- But I like looking through the viewfinder of it better...its clearer...sharper than sony...but maybe it wasnt adjusted properly, dont know. I do like it comes with a better zoom...that wasnt the case with the minolta 7d vs. the canon 20d back when I first looked.

The way a camera feels is very important and if a camera doesn't feel right, I don't want it unless that is my only option within the features and performance I am looking for. I haven't compared viewfinders between both those cameras but if it was a question of sharper, there is a diopter adjustment to fine tune the viewfinder. If it is a question of brighter, that is a seperate issue.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:47 PM   #6

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
The way a camera feels is very important and if a camera doesn't feel right, I don't want it unless that is my only option within the features and performance I am looking for.* I haven't compared viewfinders between both those cameras but if it was a question of sharper, there is a diopter adjustment to fine tune the viewfinder.* If it is a question of brighter, that is a seperate issue.
It was the sharpness in the sony...not as sharp, I guess I need to play with the diopter.

I will have the money for the camera, but part of me wants to wait till sept. now to see if the alpha will be 'updated'...or at least to hear some more of what the future line up will be.

I truly love the idea of the dynamic range...looks great from what I see with the advanced mode. But I read that it does not work for Raw...and I only want to work with raw...so maybe the next version will do this, who knows.

I appreciate the feedback, and your right, the feel goes a long way in making the final choice.

Anyone with any bad experiences with the alpha, would love to hear.
Again, I heard that the 5d and 7d were having issues with black frame, and that some alphas were having issues with the anti-shake dieing on them.

Im curious to the extent of this problem, again, being in Hungary, I do not want to depend on their 'lack' of support.

Its kind of different here. If you go to Target in the states, or what not, you can take a product back with receit. Here in Tesco (a Brit store in Hungary) you have to go to customer service to stamp your product to get a warranty to return to the store...and lines are long. - go figure, very different for me.

So in short, Im trying to do my homework the best I can before I purchase.

Thanks

Peace