Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1

This is first wedding shoot with A100. My daughter's best friend ask if I would shoot their wedding. I am always reluctant to shoot weddings because it is alot of work and stress. You can view the photos at this link

www.pbase.com/philgibson

Click on the Kelly_Brian folder.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:43 PM   #2

excellent first attempt

decent and useable results

imo: shoot a 'wider' frame - you can always crop down later, but you can't replace what you missed
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

Thanks

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:35 PM   #4

good shots! i have the Alpha too, so i was very interested in seeing these results. please correct me if i'm wrong, but were you using the on-board flash? I saw a bit of the "cookie-cutter" shadow in a couple of the shots, and if you don't have a mounted one, go buy one with your profits from the wedding.

They are worth their cost; i have the HVL56AM and its swivel head gives you the ability to bounce light in pretty much all directions. Very, very useful.

Nice work :)
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:07 AM   #5

I was using an external flash and not the onboard. I hope that Santa would bring one of the Sony Flashes for Christmas. Thanks for looking and your comments.

Phil
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:00 AM   #6

yeah, i looked again at the shots and there was only one or two that had the shadow, and due to the angle it'd be hard NOT to get a shadow! I apologize!

There is a slight tilt to several of the photos, rotating them left by about 2 degrees would greatly enhance them!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:06 AM   #7

Yes I noticed the tilt. I will fix that before I give them to the bride and groom. There is not need to apologize. I would not post the link if I did not want people to make suggestions.

Thanks

Phil
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:42 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I agree for a first attempt these are good, one thing that you need to check is that they are straight as a lot are off to the right slightly. Also the last group shots were shot with too wide an aperture so the people in the back are not sharp.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You obviously did some research to get the family groups together and they have come out well and you have some nice creative compositions in some of these.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you were thinking of doing more weddings in the future for money then don't do it unless you have 2 of everything important..... camera, flash, lens, spare batteries etc otherwise life could get very difficult.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:22 AM   #9

Mark

Thanks

I had my son shooting backup as I shot. We both had extra batteries, memory cards, and a third camera. I do not plan on shooting weddings for a profession. The tilting to the right has been corrected in the photos I gave the bride and groom.

Phil
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:13 AM   #10
Super Moderator

That's cool, just wanted to check. I've not been brave enough to shoot a wedding as yet as I'm a sports shooter and with that I know I can get the right shot but weddings are always extra special as it is someones special day.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote