Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:17 AM   #1

Hi all,

Have just purchased (And received this morning), a new Sony Alpha A-100 (Plus 18-200) Lens.

Might seem a silly question, but just want to make sure...

In the quick start guide (Read me first), it quotes the battery charge for a full charge at around 240 minutes, but it does not say whether you have to leave it charging for the first charge for longer?

It used to be the first charge was a great many hours, but this may have obviously changed over the time we have not had a DSLR...

Does the Alpha A-100 Supplied Battery just require the 240+ minutes for first charge?

Or is it better to leave it charging for longer?

Obviously want to get the Camera working as soon as possible, but would also like to make sure the Battery is at its best from new ir required...

Kind Regards all and thank you for looking.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:30 AM   #2

Since it is the quick start guide, I would think it is for the first charge. Look in the manual at the front where they walk you through the set up. If your charger has a light, I suspect it will charge quicker than 240 minutes. I don't know about Sony, but Nikon recommends leaving the battery in the charger until it cools down.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:34 AM   #3

The charger will switch off (green LED turns off) when it determines that the battery is adequately charged. Leaving the battery in the charge for longer won't really accomplish anything.

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:42 AM   #4

Thank you both for the kind and prompt replies, In the manual it says (Thinking from my head here as manual is boxed away for the minute).. roughly 180+Minutes to charge and the light will go out on the charger, if you leave the battery in the charger for a further 60+ minutes it 'Fully' charges the battery...

So it would seem leave it on charge for roughly three hours, (Or until the light goes out), then add a further 'roughly' sixty minutes for a 'full' charge...

My concern was that the first charge may need a 'longer' charge..

Kind Regards.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote