Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

View Poll Results: IF your Minolta 5d happen to hit the ground and become useless, in pieces.... Would You?
Find another 5d to buy somewhere? 5 21.74%
Find a 7d to buy somewhere? 10 43.48%
Buy a Sony A100? 5 21.74%
Other? 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:22 AM   #11

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
i love my 5D - i just wish it had a bit more to grab on to. my pinky is just hangin out, not quite sure what to do when the camera is in my hand.... feels like i'm one of those old english ladies sipping tea or something.... :G

thus i voted for the hypothetical 7D "upgrade"...
I also love my 5D. And I have no urge to buy anything else for a while. The camera is great, and I have found no shortcomings for my needs. However, should I drop it today, I would probably not buy another one simply because of possible warranty issues and limited support. Same for the 7D. At the same time, I wanted to pass the A100 up because to me the tradeoff in image noise for the added Mega Pixels is unacceptable for me. I rather shoot a high quality 6 MP picture indoors at ISO 1600 than a noisy one at 10 MP. But that's just me. I would be in a dilemma if I dropped and it was gone for good.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:53 PM   #12

I voted to buy the A100, but only because I have a 7D too. The smaller and lighter 5D has benefits at those times when you don't need the greater abilities of the 7D. I saw no reason to "upgrade" to the A100 because it is so closely based on the 5D, but as a replacement, I would go with the A100 as some of Sony's additions/modifications sound like a plus, and it is still getting good reviews.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:00 PM   #13

OK, let me throw some new options in here.

What if you could get a 7d body for about $650. that was a display in a camera store and would come with the warranty like new?

Or a local Used 5d with a Tamron 28-300 Xr Di 3.5-6.3 for $450? (if I didn't want this lens I could probably get $200. on ebay) This is probably the best deal, but something keeps pushing me towards the 7d......

After thinking maybe an A100 and looking at the used prices on Ebay. I'm thinking that if Sony does come out with a good replacement in 6mos that I wanted. I would probably get more of my money back from a 7d with warranty then a a100??

:?:?:?:?:angry:
ramman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:47 PM   #14
Super Moderator

The 7D is a lovely handling/performing camera much nicer than 5D and A100 (5D handles nicer than A100 but that's another thing) so if you are staying with the system I would go for that for sure.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:34 PM   #15

ramman! wrote:
Quote:

What if you could get a 7d body for about $650. that was a display in a camera store and would come with the warranty like new?

Or a local Used 5d with a Tamron 28-300 Xr Di 3.5-6.3 for $450? (if I didn't want this lens I could probably get $200. on ebay) This is probably the best deal, but something keeps pushing me towards the 7d......

After thinking maybe an A100 and looking at the used prices on Ebay. I'm thinking that if Sony does come out with a good replacement in 6mos that I wanted. I would probably get more of my money back from a 7d with warranty then a a100??

:??:??:angry:
That's a pretty good price on the 5D with that lens. I prefer the 7D but I have both and the 5D comes in handy when I'm the mood something smaller. Get them both.... lol
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:08 AM   #16

CRY...
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:41 AM   #17

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
ramman! wrote:
Quote:

:??:??:angry:
That's a pretty good price on the 5D with that lens. I prefer the 7D but I have both and the 5D comes in handy when I'm the mood something smaller. Get them both.... lol
I should actually, I can probably sell the 5D and keep the lens for free! LOL I originally bought the 5d cause I wanted something smaller, but now that I'm doing it again, I feel like I want something sort of new to play with...
Old May 1, 2007, 8:47 AM   #18

My first choice would be to purchase a used 5D if possible. I've enjoyed the 5D tremendously and of course have an investment in glass and accessories.

That being said, I'm ready for an upgrade and I'm keeping an eye on Sony's new release info. The Alpha100 is ok, but too similar IMO to what I have. So, if I had to replace today, I'd buy used to save $$$ until a Sony upgrade is a possibility.

Canon and Nikon offer nice equipment, but I really like the IS of the KM/Sony (Pentax also)that's built into the camera body. To get an equivalent with Canon/Nikon you essentially pay (alot!) for anti-shake on each lens.
glad2badad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 3:33 PM   #19

I liked my 5D and wish I wasn't making this choice again. But between the chance to get an essentially new 7d with a warrentee, or a used 5d or 7d that could stop working in a month and lead me right back to here with even more $ lost, I'm going for the new 7D. I should be able to pick it up in a few days.
Old May 1, 2007, 5:51 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Cool I hope you enjoy your new camera it is a lovely handling piece of kit!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote