Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

View Poll Results: IF your Minolta 5d happen to hit the ground and become useless, in pieces.... Would You?
Find another 5d to buy somewhere? 5 21.74%
Find a 7d to buy somewhere? 10 43.48%
Buy a Sony A100? 5 21.74%
Other? 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:59 PM   #1

Its not hypothetical for me.......
ramman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2

I've got an investment in lenses and accessories, so "Other" is out, and between buying used and upgrading to 10MP, I'll take the upgrade.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3

I have a few good lenses too, I think my only other would be wait to see what sony releases...
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:59 PM   #4

Looks like Oct. would be the earliest for new sony's?? I don't think I can wait that long....
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:26 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I've not voted as it isa difficult one and will depend on each persons situation. What other kit (lenses etc) do you have, what do you want from your camera and where would you like your photography to go in the future?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:13 PM   #6

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I've not voted as it isa difficult one and will depend on each persons situation. What other kit (lenses etc) do you have, what do you want from your camera and where would you like your photography to go in the future?
I have, all minolta:

18-70 kit lens,

50mm 1.7

70-210 f4 (beer can)

35-70 f4 w/macro

28-85 3.5-4.5 w/macro

I would like a camera that will drop my girlfriend, instead of the opposite....:G

Most of my photo's are landscape, wildlife, cars, (still and drag racing) Right now its a hobby that I still have a lot to learn about. I don't make any money with the camera, but I guess trying to, might be a possibility in the future. A handful of people have told me I should be selling my photos somewhere and someday I might attempt it. I'm not sure if that helped answer your questions, I guess I'm not really so sure myself...

Thanks!
Ray

Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:50 PM   #7
Super Moderator

That does help and as you have a few lenses making the change to a new system could be expensive unless you have a very clear idea that staying with Sony won't do what you need in the next couple of years. I switched from Konica Minolta 5D to Canon as I was selling quite a bit of work and as a sports shooter KM was not cutting it with lens options (most people this won'tbe an issue) but changing is never cheap and fortunately my dad gave me a reasonable price for all the kit so he is now using a lot of it and really enjoying the camera (as I did). That being the case if you can get another 5D or 7D then do so or if not then look at the A100. The reason I say this is I like the performance of the sensor more in the 5 and 7D's over the A100 especially at higher ISO.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:52 PM   #8

I've been throwing my options around, and the thought of selling my lenses and going though the whole "what camera should I buy" again makes me cringe... Although I would actually profit on my lenses... But could I replace them with Canon, or whoever's equivalents for the same price? (see I can make myself nuts all day doing this...lol)

I guess I need to do some more research, and keep my eye out for a 7D or 5D.

I'm also going to look into repair. I had my 70-210 attached in the camera bag, and my GF swung it over her shoulder, but the strap was not hooked and it hit the ground... So it ripped the lens mount off of my body. I'm curious to see if the a100 uses the same parts that are broke, and if I, or a camera shop could get them.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:09 PM   #9

Interesting.

So far, no one would buy another 5D.

Seems the A-100 should have been based on the 7D. Hope Sony is watching.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:19 AM   #10

i love my 5D - i just wish it had a bit more to grab on to. my pinky is just hangin out, not quite sure what to do when the camera is in my hand.... feels like i'm one of those old english ladies sipping tea or something.... :G

thus i voted for the hypothetical 7D "upgrade"...
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote