Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 9, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1

How is this camera for "out of the box" photos? Could someone post photos taken with the Alpha using the Auto setting?

I'm trying to upgrade to a DSLR and have tried the Canon Xti and the Canon 30D. I'm going to be using the Auto setting quite a bit in the beginning and want good, clear pictures. I don't mind photoshopping sometimes but do not want to have to edit them.

I've been recommended the Olympus E-500 and the Sony Alpha. I would like to compare before I decide.

Thanks!
Kelly
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 11:53 PM   #2

The auto mode is pretty good. Ironically it is better for me so far with the included kit lens than with another lens I have. Keep in mind that if you come across really over/under-exposed shots, you'll quickly learn why. Sometimes 'spot metering' should be used, but 99% of the time, full-auto works surprisingly well.

You did not like the canon? I would have thought their auto is okay.

The shot is a tad dark but what do you expect at 7am

Full auto: used a flash, full auto.

cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 9:46 AM   #3

Great pics!

No, the auto on the Xti consistently put out photos that were underexposed. I was surprised too. I've had other Canons (P&S) and their auto settings produced clear, very true to color photos - which I would expect on Auto. I was surprised too. I know the other settings you will have to experiment with.

Thanks cgl88.

Kelly
Old May 10, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4

I doubt that any dSLR will produce photos that are as sharp, have the right contrast, and have the best exposure "out of the box" as well as other digicams. A dSLR assumes that you will want to do some post processing and/or change the default settings to get the best photos. Since to much sharpening, to much contrast, and over exposure produce irreversable changes those settings are on the conservative side in a dSLR. The dSLR settings (sharpening, contrast, EV compensation) should be able to be set to produce images comparable to other digicams, but typically they are not that way "out of the box".

In short, a dSLR assumes that you are capable of thinking and that you are willing to do some thinking. Perhaps not as much as the hard core "Always Shoot Raw and Post Process `Til You Twitch" crowd, but more than a simpler digicam.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 2:27 PM   #5

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I doubt that any dSLR will produce photos that are as sharp, have the right contrast, and have the best exposure "out of the box" as well as other digicams. A dSLR assumes that you will want to do some post processing and/or change the default settings to get the best photos. Since to much sharpening, to much contrast, and over exposure produce irreversable changes those settings are on the conservative side in a dSLR. The dSLR settings (sharpening, contrast, EV compensation) should be able to be set to produce images comparable to other digicams, but typically they are not that way "out of the box".

In short, a dSLR assumes that you are capable of thinking and that you are willing to do some thinking. Perhaps not as much as the hard core "Always Shoot Raw and Post Process `Til You Twitch" crowd, but more than a simpler digicam.
Bill's righta dSLR is going to assume that it doesn't know exactly what you're trying to capturesoit will try to capture as much dynamic range as possible so you have the informationyou need captured.

That being said, you can get it to take pictures that come out of the camera looking more like what you get from the average P&S. I use these settings when I'm not out to get a specific result. ie: using my camera as a point and shoot

To get images that are "Ready to Print" just make the following settings changes:
Exposure Compensation + 0.5
Saturation +1
Color Mode Natural +1
Shaprness +1
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 4:03 PM   #6

Quote:
To get images that are "Ready to Print" just make the following settings changes:
Exposure Compensation + 0.5
Saturation +1
Color Mode Natural +1
Shaprness +1
Thanks! Are these settings I would find on the Alpha?
Old May 11, 2007, 2:39 PM   #7

Bill, let us know if those settings apply to the a100.

Kelly, not all photos work out perfectly out of the box. The good thing about dSLR is that it actually makes you think. The exposure is completely wrong here. I need to meter, use a flash, and simplify my framing:

Full Auto:
[img] http://x27.xanga.com/09bd76625233312.../m87947295.jpg [/img]

4pm, lots of shadows and rays of light on subject:

Ah, but here is one that worked: 50mm, handheld, uniform lighting and no flash:
Old May 14, 2007, 2:59 AM   #8

Just got the alpha about a week ago...I hadnt taken pics in over 3 years basically...never 'owned' a digital camera - and im happy with the photos.

No, Im not pro, one can argue exposure and composition of my shots - but I have enjoyed using it, and have taken 400+ pics in a week - and learned a lot just due to the fact I enjoyed the camera.

Yes there are small quarks, but Im not annoyed by them really.
- i.e., lens can feel loose (see a post on the forum here about that)
- also there are varying issues that people seem to have, none of which at the end of the day are show stoppers - and if it needs to be fixed, it seems sony fixes it.

Peace
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:11 AM   #9

also...you said you want auto mode...dont forget scene mode.
I have used the potrait mode (sorry, none are loaded up on flickr for me to post image in here) and it is fabulous.

If your like me, you will explore the camera, feeling safe that the camera does rather well in each mode.

The image of the church I posted...that is actually darker than the original image...(i took it into photoshop and runined it...lol )

At the end of the day, I bought the sony alpha as it was cheaper than the canon 400d, nikon 40d (im in Hungary and prices are everywhich way) - and I actually liked the sony for the most part with its feel.

If sony keeps up the feel of how the camera operates, but weather seals it, makes it a bit 'tougher' I will probably stick with the line - as there is only one camera from canon I like (canon 5d, and I still dont like how the menus are layed out, etc.)

Well, let us know what you go with...if you get an alpha...enjoy it...same goes with any other camera.

Oh, my brother-in-law at the last minute recommended the olympus.
I was actually intrigued by the foveon (?) chip - but at the end of the day...I didnt even consider it because the 'look' and also the model that I would have gotten was pricey. But that is me, some may adore the look. :-)

Peace

very difficult shot as it was totally shade from the willow leaves - looking up and seeing the bright sun peaking though...it looks like 'shake' but that was my silly playing around with different focus points - or is it shake? :-)

I have to admit I am impressed with anti-shake...I like seeing the bars move which give me an indication of when to let go of the shutter...I typically let go when the bar is at 2... (some of you pros probably get a 0 bar all the time. :-)

Peace
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 10:18 PM   #10

More photos:
Working on modifying EV:

Some people swear by not using flash, esp. indoors, but you have to use it...sometimes. Here the sun cast a shadow on his head, so i used a flash. The other 10 shots of this guy did not use a flash. I didn't like any of those ones.