Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 10, 2007, 2:55 PM   #1

I've got at KM AF DT 18-200 f/3.5-6.3

barrel distortion at 18mm:
Attached Images

TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2

pincushion distortion at 35mm (Someone please explain how that happens?):
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2007, 2:59 PM   #3

Soft throughout, and chromatic aberation at the long end:
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2007, 3:00 PM   #4

I'm pretty disappointed in this lens, but maybe I'm being too critical. Does anybody have a superzoom that does better? ... as well? ... worse?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:11 PM   #5

I'm curious about the 18-200mm zooms available for the A100 so BUMP!!

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Sony DT 18-200 lense?
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:29 PM   #6

Dyxum.com gives the Sigma and Tamron higher user ratings than the Minolta (4.08 & 3.91 vs. 3.78 )(out of a possible 5), and gives the Sony the highest rating of all (4.14.) This is quite interesting, since the Tamron, Minolta and Sony are all the same lens.

Photodo.com gives the Tamrom a user rating of 3.75 (out of a possible 5), the Minolta a 3.25, and the Sigma a 3.0.

PhotoZone.de gives the Sigma a user rating of 0.68 (out of a possible 5), and the Tamron a 0.95. (The Minolta didn't have a user rating here, and yes, these are, in fact,out of a possible 5.)

Do with that what you will.

I was happy with mine, until I tried some other lenses. It is now the dimmest, softest and most distortion prone lens I have.

If the 18-200 is the only lens you will EVER own, you may very well be happy with it. Ignorance is bliss.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:57 PM   #7

Thanks TCav. If you were to buy the body-only kit and could afford only two lenses (new or used) which would you choose? I'm thinking the Beercan and a 2.8 18-50 or thereabout.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:06 AM   #8

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Thanks TCav. If you were to buy the body-only kit and could afford only two lenses (new or used) which would you choose? I'm thinking the Beercan and a 2.8 18-50 or thereabout.
I have recently become a member of the Beercan Fan Club, so yes, in a two lens kit, I'd say the Beercan is an excellent choice. For the wide end, I'd really like the Zeiss 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 if it were a little brighter. Since it's not, my current choice is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, though I have no experience with either.

Another lens that's hard to beat is the Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Sony has chosen not to continue production of this lens, so it's only available used. It is a fine lens and goes for less that $100 on the used market. I think it would be a good choice for a third lens in your two lens kit.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:44 PM   #9

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Another lens that's hard to beat is the Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Sony has chosen not to continue production of this lens, so it's only available used. It is a fine lens and goes for less that $100 on the used market. I think it would be a good choice for a third lens in your two lens kit.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
The Tamrom 17-50mm and Minolta 50mm f1.7 are both excellent lenses. While everyone should owna Minolta 50mm f1.7 theonly benefit you will get over the Tamron is an extra 1.5 f-stops for low light shooting. It's also a little more compact. I rarely use it anymore since getting the Tamron.

I agree with TCav - the beer can is a superb choice. Again, everyone should have one. If you need more reach the big beercan might be an alternative to consider. Unfortunately they are a little hard to find.

Another lens that seems to be getting some positive reviews is the Tamron 18-250mm. This one might be a bit limiting for indoor shooting though.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:39 PM   #10

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Another lens that seems to be getting some positive reviews is the Tamron 18-250mm. This one might be a bit limiting for indoor shooting though.
I agree. The reviews of the Tamron 18-250 all seem to indicate that it is a big improvement over the 18-200, but f/3.5-6.3 is still pretty dim.