Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 13, 2007, 2:06 PM   #1

Hi, i have had my alpha 100 for about a week now, and i lent it to someone (a child) to take a pic of me and some friends at a party and she accidently touchess the lens which then had a finger print on.

I have thehama 5 in 1 lens cleaning kit which isn't very dear but havnt used it before. I got the dust cloth to wipe away any access dust, which there was vertualy none anyway and used the blower also, i then added adrop of the cleaning fluid to one of the cleaning tissues and then whiped the lens, can anyone tell me the sorta force ya supposed to use when doing this? i tried doin it very lightly but not sure if you can add more presure?

Anyway, after i done that the finger print had gone but i noticed the motion in which i had been using the cleaning tissue you could see fainy outlines of where the tissue had been cleaning, the lens was clean though apart from a look when you clean glass and u can see a bit of a wave effect where you have been using a cloth ect..

Can anyone tell me is this right and does it look like that after a clean or am i doing something wrong? pictures appear ok after that but i want to know for future.

thanks, james
james_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2007, 3:28 PM   #2
Administrator

My normal lens cleaner is a cotton t-shirt with a drop or two of water on one corner.

So, I'm not one to comment. ;-)

Yesterday, I noticed a smudge on the lens of favorite pocket camera and I even used a commercial glass cleaner with it (a touch of "Glass Plus" on a cotton t-shirt, making sure to get into the corners of the lens as well as I could). It's the glass cleaner my wife prefers (no ammonia and she claims it works better).

I see no swirl marks or any other evidence that the lens is not just as it came from the factory, with the coatings looking just fine.

I've probably used this technique (t-shirt) hundreds of times.

If you want a supposedly safer way to do it, look at a product like the lens pen:

http://www.lenspen.com/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 10:32 PM   #3

Spit and your t shirt...lol
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 11:36 AM   #4

There are lots of commercial products for cleaning lenses. Most do a good job of cleaning the lens without damaging it.

The important thing to remember is to apply VERY LITTLE FORCE, and to always swipe from the center to the outer edge of the lens, rotating the lens slightly on each subequent swipe. Each swipe should project outward from the center, likethe spokes of a wagon wheel,until the entire surface of the lens has been cleaned.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 10:11 AM   #5

I prefer the using very fine scotchbrite with WD40. It removes even the toughest stains off of any lens.

:blah::blah::blah::blah:
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
There are lots of commercial products for cleaning lenses. Most do a good job of cleaning the lens without damaging it.
james_uk: Just so you know, ScotchBrite with WD40 does not fall into that category. :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 2:26 PM   #7

I use these
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote