Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 26, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1

I have pretty much decided that the Sony A100 is the way to go.
These lenses from my Minolta will fit. They are a bit larger that the current line of DSLR lenses but in my case there free. Had them for many years.
Attached Images

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 1:01 PM   #2

It's a good start! Do you plan on shooting any wide angle? You may find 35mm is not wide enough.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 9:41 AM   #3

Would the kit 18 to 70 be better?

I was thinking of the body only with a 2gb SanDisk Ultra ll and an extra battery to start with.

Do you have a specific wide angle lense in mind. Some indoor shots would surely benefit from a wide angle lense. Bare in mind that I AM NOT a professional. I am fairly new to digital and photography in general.
Old May 27, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Administrator

It's not just the indoor shots that benefit (although trying to get group shots in a typical room could be difficult without a wider lens).

Outdoor shots can benefit, too (trying to get an entire building or tree into an image an more). You can only back up so much in many situations (and you may not want to back up to get a shot, even if you have the room. ;-)

You can buy a used 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DT lens for under $100 (barely, depending on condition if you shop around at vendors like http://www.keh.com (look under the Sony and Minolta zoom lenses). It's closer to $200 new ($189 at B&H), so it's a pretty good deal as part of a camera kit (usually only adds about $100 to the kit price).

So, you could see how your existing lenses work for what you like to shoot before deciding, and just get a used 18-70mm if you decide to go that way later and not break the bank.

There are many lenses that start out relatively wide. But, at the price of the 18-70mm in a camera kit, you're probably not going to beat it's price/performance ratio in a new lens as part of the camera kit.

It's a relatively small and light lens for it's focal range, too. But, that means it's not very bright either (it's down to widest aperture of f/5.6 by the time you zoom into about 35mm with it). But, for outdoor use or indoors with a flash, that would fine.

There are a number of higher quality lenses around, too. But, most are going to be larger, heavier and more expensive than you'd be able to get the 18-70mm for in a kit.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 8:31 AM   #5

Go with the a100 w/ kit lens. The 18mm on the 18-70 kit lens will be of benefit to you. I at first wanted to make use of my minolta 28-80mm lens but with the crop factor of 1.5 on 28mm on the a100, the kit lens was the way to go for landscape, buildings, and group pics.

The a100 works beautifully with all of your existing lenses. Happy shooting.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6

Well, I bit the bullet folks.
Got the A-100 today, charged up the battery, formated the 2gb compact flash Ultra ll card and read the cover of the manual.

Tried a few shots and with the old 50mm lense and autoflash, I was pretty impress with the indoor shooting.

Also to a couple in the backyard.

Like a kid at his birthday party
Old May 29, 2007, 6:06 AM   #7
Administrator

Congrats!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 9:19 AM   #8

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Well, I bit the bullet folks.
and read the cover of the manual.

Like a kid at his birthday party
Don't read the manual, that's what forums are for. :-)

BTW, you have a good set of lenses for starters, and you may well be set for life with them.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 6:53 PM   #9

Wow, I made another very interesting discovery.

I noticed that the lense sizes were 55mm, so I scratched my #@+*&#$~ and said to myself, Self, dig out that Tcon 1.7 you got for the Kodak and see what it does.

Wallah, Works perfectly, so now I can screw that puppy on to any one of the lenses and get CLOSE.

Tried a couple of shots with the 35-70 and all worked perfectly, so with that lense my 35mm equiv. is now from 52 - 178mm, the 70-210 works out to 105-535mm.

This really gives me some range versatility.

Old May 29, 2007, 8:59 PM   #10

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Wow, I made another very interesting discovery.

I noticed that the lense sizes were 55mm, so I scratched my #@+*&#$~ and said to myself, Self, dig out that Tcon 1.7 you got for the Kodak and see what it does.

Wallah, Works perfectly, so now I can screw that puppy on to any one of the lenses and get CLOSE.

Tried a couple of shots with the 35-70 and all worked perfectly, so with that lense my 35mm equiv. is now from 52 - 178mm, the 70-210 works out to 105-535mm.

This really gives me some range versatility.

I think you will find that the longer end is simply X1.5 e.g. 70-210 becomes equivalent to a 105-315mm lens. Sorry to burst your bubble!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote