Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 26, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1

Hi all,

I am about to buy new lens for my Sony Alpha A100. I have the standard 18-70mm lens and I have had a look into low budget 70-300mm telephoto lenses, finding the following two as the most attractive alternatives:

Tamron 4,0-5,6/70-300mm Di LD Macro 1:2
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO

I know they are not top lenses but I am not a professional photographer :-)

I need to decide between those two so I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me his/her opinion/personal experience about them!

Thanks in advance,

/N

newstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2

Have you excluded the Sony 75-300mm? I have the older Minolta version of this lens. It has reasonable performace for a low cost lens.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 12:32 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Frank. Yes, I did look into it but I found it to be over my budget (at least here in Europe is about 100 euros (135 US dollars) more expensive than the other two :sad

Regards,

/N

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Have you excluded the Sony 75-300mm? I have the older Minolta version of this lens. It has reasonable performace for a low cost lens.
newstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 1:15 PM   #4

newstor wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Frank. Yes, I did look into it but I found it to be over my budget (at least here in Europe is about 100 euros (135 US dollars) more expensive than the other two :sad
WOW!In the US, the Sony is only about $10-$20 more!

The concensus seems to be that the Sony is a little better that the Sigma and Tamron, so maybe you should shop around a little more.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 1:17 PM   #5

I bought mine recently at KEH. I paid US$84 for one grade as "Excellent" used condition. KEH are well known for their conservative ratings.

Haveyou checked the lens data base at Dyxum?

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Old May 29, 2007, 9:29 AM   #6
Super Moderator

When I had the KM5D (before I switched over to Canon) I had the tamron lens as it was cheaper than the Sigma, but the Sigma (if you get the APO) is the better lens, however the non APO has little to call between that and the Tamron. One thing that was good with the Tamron over the Sigma is the aperture changes further up the zoom range so it is a little wider at some focal lengths. I've not used the KM/Sony option so can't comment on that but most people will be happy with the results from the Sigma.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:00 PM   #7

Here's a snapshot using the Minolta 75-300mm - shot this evening out in the garden. Zoom set to 300mm, 1/125 sec @ f7.1, ISO-100.

Attached Images