Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 31, 2007, 6:26 AM   #1

UPS delivered my Beercan yesterday evening; this guy landed on my stormdoor last night.

One more item to add to the list of things I don't recommend: Handheld Macrophotography
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2007, 12:25 PM   #2

TCav,

210mm, 1/10 sec @ f4 handheld? That's pretty tough! I think you did remarkably well considering. Were you using your porch light for illumination?

So is the Beercan in addition to the 75-300 you were testing recently?

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:23 AM   #3

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
210mm, 1/10 sec @ f4 handheld? That's pretty tough! I think you did remarkably well considering.
Thanks. This is one of just a handful of keepers from about 40 shots I took.

Isn't digital photography great? I remember my first attempt at Macrophotography. I had just bought a bellows for my srT-101. I used up two rolls of Tri-X taking pictures of a full ashtray. Most of the shots were spectacular, butI had to wait and pay for developing.

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Were you using your porch light for illumination?
Yes. This shot was taken from the outside. The moth isilluminated by the porch light, while the background is a wall of my foyer illuminated by the foyer light.

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
So is the Beercan in addition to the 75-300 you were testing recently?
Yes, I'm more or less happy with the 75-300 D except for the CA at the long end.I'd been seeing Beercans going for $200-$225. Adorama had this one for $150, so I jumped on it. The body has a few blemishes and shows some wear, but otherwise it looks good and works perfectly.

I'm now a member of the Beercan fan club. This thing is fantastic. It's BIG, but I can live with that. It is sharp throughout its range, and with no trace of distortion.

When all I had was the KM 18-200 (a rebranded Tamron), I was pleased with the range though I knew it wasn't very sharp. My experince with the 75-300s that I tried showed me just how soft the 18-200 was. Now, given that the CA of the 75-300 D screwed up my shots of the recent Air Show at Andrews Air Force Base, I may not have much use for it, now that I have the Beercan.

Now I need a good wide-angle zoom. I'm looking at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I wish somebody made something f/2.0 or better, but if they did, I probably couldn't afford it anyway.

One think I will say is that this lens needed to be cleaned when I received it from Adorama. The optical elements weren't too bad (considering it didn't come with any caps), but the barrel had some minor crud on it. The two 75-300s and the 50mm f/1.7 I bought from KEH were all immaculate when I received them. I hope my experience is unusual
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:10 AM   #4

Do you bother keeping the shots that didn't turn out? I am a minimalist and basically delete things that are unusable (things i would never print)...after studying why they did not turn out in the first place.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Isn't digital photography great? I remember my first attempt at Macrophotography. I had just bought a bellows for my srT-101. I used up two rolls of Tri-X taking pictures of a full ashtray. Most of the shots were spectacular, butI had to wait and pay for developing.
Agreed. I wonder if any of the youngsters here know what Tri-X actually is! I used to process my own back then.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:51 AM   #6

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
Do you bother keeping the shots that didn't turn out? I am a minimalist and basically delete things that are unusable (things i would never print)...after studying why they did not turn out in the first place.
No. I keep the ones that look halfway decent and chuck the rest. That can be dangerous if not done carefully, though.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:24 PM   #7

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if any of the youngsters here know what Tri-X actually is! I used to process my own back then.
When I was in high school, I used to shoot Plus-X and Tri-X in my Minolta Hi-Matic C. I used to process them and make contact prints in my basement. I also used my mother's Argus TLR (there's an acronym from out of the past!) to get 2-1/4 contact prints.

I got the bellows for my srT-101 (and later, the 202, which I still have) when I was in the Navy. The Navy doesn't let you use their basements to play with chemicals.