Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:10 PM   #11

It's not the camera that takes long to focus. In fact it is pretty much instant. The Tamron 18-250 is supposed to have some focusing issues. I think that just comes with the fact that less light enters at the higher zoom range (max aperture at 250 is f6.3) so it hunts. The same is true for my Tamron 28-300, butonly in lowerlightconditions. Basically, the faster the lens the faster the camera is going to focus. And that cn be as fast as instant. It does not lag the FZ in that regard.

Don't start wrecking your brains. Make the move, Troop.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:13 PM   #12

I took various random shots with the A-100 on continuous autofocus with the kit 18-70 lens and was very pleased with focus time. Almost instantaneous.

My shot above of the skateboarder was autofocus and literally point and shot. As you know, these kinds of shots don't wait. My composure wasn't the best, but the camera did its job.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:28 PM   #13

Yes, the focus in action shots is a LOT better than with the FZ. The EVF delay and black out during burst shots drove me nuts with the my FZ20 and FZ30. I even tried the Red Dot Sight, but that was too much of a pain. My KM5D does a MUCH better job. But again, the faster the lens, the faster and more accurate the focus is going to be. This one here was taken with the Tamron 28-300XR 3.5-6.3. My son was running full speed toward me, and thetrackingAF nailed it almost right on. The FZ would have missed that shot or it would have been all out-of-focus.

Rainer

Attached Images

Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:06 PM   #14

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the focus in action shots is a LOT better than with the FZ. The EVF delay and black out during burst shots drove me nuts with the my FZ20 and FZ30. I even tried the Red Dot Sight, but that was too much of a pain. My KM5D does a MUCH better job. But again, the faster the lens, the faster and more accurate the focus is going to be. This one here was taken with the Tamron 28-300XR 3.5-6.3. My son was running full speed toward me, and thetrackingAF nailed it almost right on. The FZ would have missed that shot or it would have been all out-of-focus.

Rainer

I found the FZ30 gave me a lot of out of focus shots and I don't mean image blur due to slow shutter speeds orhand shake. I just found that when the auto focus was "spot on" it did a great job but theissue was getting it there.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:20 PM   #15

Agreed. When the FZ focused, it was dead on, but often it missed, especially at longer focal lengths.And it did not have predictive tracking AF, which means once the focus locks into a moving object it does not keep up with it ANDthe EVF goes black if you shoot in burst mode. The pic of my son above would have been either out of focus or pure luck. With the KM5D (or mostly any DSLR) the camera tracks the moving subject AND predicts where it is going to be at the point of shutter release. Now, of course there are hits and misses, too. For example it seems like the stick my son has in his hands seems to be more in focus than his face. The reason is that in Sports or ActionMode (which I used in that shot) the AF seems to be tracking the part of the subject that moves the most which in this case was that stick. But overall it is a vast technological leap from the AF system in any digicams, including the FZ's.

Rainer
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:50 PM   #16

I really appreciate all the help, especially since you guys have owned FZ's, thanks.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:44 AM   #17

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
I really appreciate all the help, especially since you guys have owned FZ's, thanks.
Keep us posted when you get it.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:45 AM   #18

Hello!!, I started with FZ-15, then moved to FZ-30, great improvement. 1 year after, I decided to move to KM-5D. The main reason was the behaivor on low ligth, as I do many weddings at nigth. So I did a face to face test to see which one has better performance on low ligth:

Fz30 - f3.2, ISO 400, OIS or KM 5D-f4.5, ISO 3200, IS.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=23

KM5D is a really big improvement in terms of noise. I only miss the zoom range in one lens. I'm planning to buy the tamron 18-250
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:46 PM   #19

18-250 zoom range is awesome, but at 18mm it is not great indoors still. Just beware that you might want to get an f/2.8 lens at the wide end of things.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:51 PM   #20

After much research and handling of both cameras, I finally decided to go with the Olympus E-510, mainly because it's a tad smaller, lighter, and just feels better to me. Both cameras had their good and bad points, and it was not an easy decision.

The fact that the Sony has so many lenses available was tempting, but I really didn't want to be tempted. I want a hoby, not a monthly Visa bill for my latest lense purchase! The Oly kit lenses are fairly adequate for what I will use it for, and the Live View LCD is nice (but not a deal-maker).

And I will be keeping my FZ5 for those occasions when I just want 'snap' shots!

Thanks for all the help, the A100 was a strong #2 on my list.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote