Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:08 PM   #1

I upgraded my FZ5 to an FZ8, and was very disappointed with the noise and image quality of the FZ8, so I returned it.

I've been seriously contemplating moving up to an A100, and would like to know if anyone else has made that move from Super-Zooms to the Sony DSLR. Any advice on lenses (I've read most of the threads back a year and am thoroughly confused)?

Is anyone truly happy with the 18-200 Sony lense, or is it too much of a compromise? Circuit City has a deal on the Kit with the 18-70 plus a 75-300 Sony lense for $849 that looks pretty good, but I might end up just getting the body and buying the lenses from KEH.

I shoot alot from a moving boat, and I take a lot of helicopter/airplane shots (from the ground, not from in them). Rarely take pictures indoors.

Guess I need a new hobby, and would appreciate all input, thanks.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:25 PM   #2

IMHO, The A100 is a very good camera. Not to say the others are not. I had a XTI broke, Got a A100 but really wanted the K10d, so I sold the K10 used it for about 2 months (it did well) but it just did not feel like the A100 and I like the look of the results of the A100 a bit better (imo). So I sold the K10 and went back to the A100. I have sold some prints from this camera (24x36) that were tack sharp. For me the A100 is what becomes that extension of my vision more easly..

Kevin
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3

Hi trooplewis, seeing that you've been a member since 1/05 I'll guess that you've done your homework here.

I started out with a Sony DSC-S75, it was one of Sonys better P&S cameras. I shot skateboarding and landscapes and the shutterlag was not working for skateboarding.

After extensively researching everything I could find I decided on the KM 5D with the 18-70 (kit lens) and I've been pretty happy.

The A100 is Sony's version of the 5D since the buyout and the only negitive thing I've read is about is the noise. I've never had one to compare to the 5D but you can get noise with a 5D too.

The 18-70 is an exellent lens to start with, that range should really give you an idea of what length of lens you'll be using the most and you can get some great photo's with this lens if used correctely.

When I decided to start buying lenses I read alot on this forum and the general consensus was any zoom over 3x is where the comprimises start to take affect, personally I would avoid the 18-200 although I've seen some very good results from that lens.

With that thoughtthe first lens Ibought was the Minolta 70-210 f/4 (3x length), a favorite among Minolta/Sony users.

If your like most here (me included), you'll end up spending lots of money on lenses, flashes, filters, bags and endless other things. Better make sure your ready to make it a new hobby.

Also, Sony will be coming out with at least one new body sometime in the near future and you might wait to see if that interest you or brings down the price of the A100.

KEH is an exellent place to buy gear.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:53 PM   #4

I think you will love the A-100
Just got mine and took my first action shot today. Got lots to learn but the camera has the potential to do what I want.

Attached Images

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5

I appreciate the input, thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:41 PM   #6

It sounds like you've already made your decision, but I might suggest hanging on to the FZ5. I moved from the FZ5 (which I still love) up to the 7D. I found that I still enjoyed the Panasonic when (A) I didn't have room for a DSLR or (B) I wanted that 432mm image stabilized fast lens.

The 7D (and A100) are remarkable cameras, but that FZ5 is no slouch when there's enough light. Have fun.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:49 PM   #7

Yes, I plan on keeping the FZ5, as it does take phenominal pictures and it locks on focus fast. I was really disappointed that the FZ8 I bought could not match the image quality of the FZ5, it had so many other really nice features. The FZ8 has been sent back to Amazon, and I think as soon as I receive my credit I'll get the A100 to learn a few more serious skills on.

The Tamron 18-250 lens is looking pretty good to me as is the 17-50 f2.8
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:36 AM   #8

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I plan on keeping the FZ5, as it does take phenominal pictures and it locks on focus fast. I was really disappointed that the FZ8 I bought could not match the image quality of the FZ5, it had so many other really nice features. The FZ8 has been sent back to Amazon, and I think as soon as I receive my credit I'll get the A100 to learn a few more serious skills on.

The Tamron 18-250* lens is looking pretty good to me as is the 17-50 f2.8
You could compliment your FZ with the alpha + 17-50 f/2.8.
The 18-250 will end up replacing your FZ. It won't perform as well as the f/2.8 for indoor/portrait. But if you do lots of outdoor/sports/nature/zoom shots, the alpha + 18-250 is a very good choice with full coverage.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:54 AM   #9

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
trooplewis wrote:
Quote:

The Tamron 18-250 lens is looking pretty good to me as is the 17-50 f2.8
You could compliment your FZ with the alpha + 17-50 f/2.8.
The 18-250 will end up replacing your FZ. It won't perform as well as the f/2.8 for indoor/portrait. But if you do lots of outdoor/sports/nature/zoom shots, the alpha + 18-250 is a very good choice with full coverage.

I went from the FZ20, then the FZ30, to the KM5D, and I never looked back. Especially since I added the Tamron 28-300, I had my image stabilized superzoom DSLR. The loss of wider apertures is more than made up by the dramatic improvement in noise levels at higher ISO's. In fact, the KM5D compares favorably at ISO1600 to the Panasonics at ISO200. (That might not be true for the Sony A10 though, which has more noise problems.) And if I really need to open up wide for indoor portraits orgym sport shots, Ialways have the choice between my Minolta 50mm 1.7, theKM 28-75/f2.8, or the beercan Minolta 70-210 f4 lenses.

I think you will be very happy. But the FZ5 is nice to keep around because it is sosmall. I might even still pick one up since I think it is better than its descendants (FZ7 and FZ8. But I had no reason to keep the big FZ30 after replacing it with the KM5D/Tamron 28-300 combo. Today I would probably buy the 18-250 version, but I got mine cheap at the time ($149!) and the 18-250had not been released then. It got an excellent rating at all focal lengths from PopPhoto. Only downside seems to be slooow focusing.

Anyway, you'll love the upgrade. DSLR's are clearly better than any compact digicam.

Rainer

http://www.zoto.com.euromaninla/albums

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:01 AM   #10

Rduve, how much more time to focus does it take than your old FZ? Are we talking about 10 seconds or 3 seconds? I've been doing way too much research and am getting a little bit worn out from it. Looking at the canon Xti as well, seems nice, but you hve to pay for IS lenses and that can get expensive, but it seems like they all focus pretty fast.