Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Sports mode is a good start but after a while you will find it too limiting so when you are ready to move on just ask one of the guys in the sports/action section for advice.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:57 AM   #12

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
As with all of us you have things to learn but this is a great place to do it. I agree that having a face makes a huge difference but as you said it was a chance for you to get used to the camera. What focus mode did you use and did you choose the centre focus point as the subjects don't seem quite in focus. Again this is a technique thing and takes a while to master.

Here is one I took recently of a friends son. Canon 30D with Sigma 10-20mm. I really should have used fill flash but I wasn't there for shooting that so was only messing around and didn't get the flash out.
Why should you have used the fill flash? Seems like the lighting perfectly illuminated the boy's body and face. The flash might have overexposed it. Great shot.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:17 AM   #13

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Here is one I took recently of a friends son. Canon 30D with Sigma 10-20mm. I really should have used fill flash but I wasn't there for shooting that so was only messing around and didn't get the flash out.
I am always amazed by the unique perspective that superwides provide.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:17 AM   #14

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:17 AM   #15

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:26 PM   #16

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments chacha and Mark.

I was brutally critisized on these shots on dyxum forums. Some partially deserved as I am learning photography and the camera.

The main critisizm was that in every picture, the skater is facing away from me. They would like to see facial expressions, the emotion of the shot.
Good info.

My purpose on this day was to see what the camera would do and not how much ability I had.

I am very pleased with the camera performance.

More to come.

I think I rememeber those posts on Dyxum.Unfortunately, that is the price to pay when demostrating a photo. Sometimes, as in your case, it is unwarranted becauseas youstated, you were demonstrating the camera.

While I feel that faces add a different dimensionand usually improves a shot...there are times when I deliberately leave them out if I trying to convey a different perspective.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:08 PM   #17
Super Moderator

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
As with all of us you have things to learn but this is a great place to do it. I agree that having a face makes a huge difference but as you said it was a chance for you to get used to the camera. What focus mode did you use and did you choose the centre focus point as the subjects don't seem quite in focus. Again this is a technique thing and takes a while to master.

Why should you have used the fill flash? Seems like the lighting perfectly illuminated the boy's body and face. The flash might have overexposed it. Great shot.
Ah, that is where PP comes into a shot. I like to get my results out of the camera as much as possible and to get what you are seeing in my shot I had to do much more than usual. I boosted the shadow and mids quite a lot to make it look balanced (oh and I replaced the sky to give it a finished look). If I had used flash I should have been able to get it all out of the camera.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:57 PM   #18

All right Flying FossilSk8n photo's, my favorite pastime. Photo's look good to me. Looks like Luguna Niguel.

I've been thinking about what I'm gonna do when my 5D dies. I hope Sony releases their new models soon if for nothing else to lower the price on the A100. The only knock I've heard about the A100 is it's noise but I don't have any first hand experience with it. At least I could still use my lenses.

Congrats on your new purchase. Is this your first DSLR?

Great subject to shoot hope to see more.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:20 AM   #19

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
All right Flying FossilSk8n photo's, my favorite pastime. Photo's look good to me. Looks like Luguna Niguel.

I've been thinking about what I'm gonna do when my 5D dies. I hope Sony releases their new models soon if for nothing else to lower the price on the A100. The only knock I've heard about the A100 is it's noise but I don't have any first hand experience with it. At least I could still use my lenses.

Congrats on your new purchase. Is this your first DSLR?

Great subject to shoot hope to see more.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the comments. The main critisizm I got on these shots were that they were all taken from the back side of the skaters.
I wasn't even thinking of that at the time. Just wanted to catch some motion. The A100 is my first DSLR and I got it because I had a few old AF Minolta lenses from my Maxxum 7000 days.
When you mention noise, are you refering to mechanical or graininess?
I don't find any objectional mechanical noise, and I rarely ever shoot at higher than ISO 200.
So Far I am pleased with this camera, and yes I is in Laguna Niquel on Alicia.
Nice to get comments from a "Local"
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:48 AM   #20
Super Moderator

It's the digital image noise at high ISO that he is referring to. It is one area where the A-100 is not as strong as the KM5D but if you work at the lower ISO settings then you are not likely to notice it.