Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:00 PM   #1

These are my first attempts with the new camera.

Attached Images

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2

No. 2
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:47 AM   #3

No. 3
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:58 PM   #4

Hi. I just logged onto this forum after a long absence. During the interim I have purchased the a100. I'm linking to your post rather late, but -I was amazed that no one had posted a response to your action shots. I felt the exposure was especially noteworthy. No clipped highlights on the skate board concrete. Yet the dark areas still maintain detail. It must have been exciting feeling the a100's autofocus snap into focus just as you hit the shutter. That has been my experience of the a100, as well.

Thank you for sharing your fine pictures. It seems as though we have both purchased the sony in the past couple months. Lots of learning ahead.

ChaCha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:16 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Good to see someone else trying skate park shots as we don't see many of them. I would suggest posting these in the sport/action photo section where you will get more views of people into sports shooting and you can get advice for improving each time you shoot.... it works for me.

What settings were you using as there is no Exif in these?

ISO, Shutter, Aperture, AF, Mode (manual, aperture priority, shutter priority) etc.

Happy shootingMark.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:39 AM   #6

Thanks for the kind comments chacha and Mark.

I was brutally critisized on these shots on dyxum forums. Some partially deserved as I am learning photography and the camera.

The main critisizm was that in every picture, the skater is facing away from me. They would like to see facial expressions, the emotion of the shot.
Good info.

My purpose on this day was to see what the camera would do and not how much ability I had.

I am very pleased with the camera performance.

More to come.

Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:43 AM   #7

chacha wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I just logged onto this forum after a long absence. During the interim I have purchased the a100. I'm linking to your post rather late, but -I was amazed that no one had posted a response to your action shots. I felt the exposure was especially noteworthy. No clipped highlights on the skate board concrete. Yet the dark areas still maintain detail. It must have been exciting feeling the a100's autofocus snap into focus just as you hit the shutter. That has been my experience of the a100, as well.

Thank you for sharing your fine pictures. It seems as though we have both purchased the sony in the past couple months. Lots of learning ahead.

ChaCha
I was especially pleased with the autofocus. You can literally point and shoot in most cases. I took some pics of a surfer catching a wave using the continuous shoot, about 7 or 8 pictures in succession and all were clear as a bell. Be sure and try it.
As you stated, lots to learn.

Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:46 AM   #8

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Good to see someone else trying skate park shots as we don't see many of them. I would suggest posting these in the sport/action photo section where you will get more views of people into sports shooting and you can get advice for improving each time you shoot.... it works for me.

What settings were you using as there is no Exif in these?

ISO, Shutter, Aperture, AF, Mode (manual, aperture priority, shutter priority) etc.

Happy shootingMark.
Hi Mark,
These were taken at high noon, on a sunny day, shutter priority at 1/1000.
I am starting to play with various A, S, M settings.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Super Moderator

As with all of us you have things to learn but this is a great place to do it. I agree that having a face makes a huge difference but as you said it was a chance for you to get used to the camera. What focus mode did you use and did you choose the centre focus point as the subjects don't seem quite in focus. Again this is a technique thing and takes a while to master.

Here is one I took recently of a friends son. Canon 30D with Sigma 10-20mm. I really should have used fill flash but I wasn't there for shooting that so was only messing around and didn't get the flash out.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:40 PM   #10

Nice shot Mark,
I don't recall the focus setting, It was one of the auto focus modes.
Another part of the education, LOL