Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:02 AM   #1

Judging by the sheer number of posts on the net about third party vertical grips/battery-packs for the Sony Alpha 100 i think it is fair to assume that the demand for it is quit big.

During some Quick research i already found three (!) third party battery-grips: the "BG-Alpha" from Opteka , the "VG-1" from Dicain and the "DX-FBH" from Ownuser.

All of them are heavily discussed and heavily sought after products.

They say that Sony is a company that really has a good listening ear as to what the customers are looking for..and therefore might even be reading fora like this one. A very intelligent way to "work a market" if you ask me.

If that is really how Sony works...i would like to give the following valuable tips to them:

1. Please please please produce a solid Vertical Grip/Battery-pack for the Alpha 100.

2. Even more important: Please please please enable the use of standard (rechargeable) AA-batteries for it.

I am really considering to switch to another brand of DSLR although i have a Minolta 9Xi, several expensive Minolta lenses and an expensive HS5400 flash unit...solely because i DONT want to be paying big bucks for Sony "Stamina" or Info-Lithium battery-replacements while i could be using affordable standard "penlite" AA-cells.

I can purchase AA-batteries at a MUCH better capacity/price-ratio..and they can be found virtually everywhere (even in the most remote places in third world countries)

I am also about to get rid of my Sony V1 compact camera because of this battery-annoyance. I bought TWO very expensive Info Lithium C NP-FC11 batteries together with the camera..and now i have to pay the EXACT same (very high) price (59 euro each) to replace them BOTH..while in the meantime the capacity of all standard rechargeable batteries (including AA) have more than DOUBLED...for even less money.

That really doesnt do much for my brand-loyalty at all.

Charging me 59 euro for ONE Sony battery at a pittyful 780 mAh (!) while I can get 4 rechargeable AA batteries at only 10 euro at 3200 mAh each!!!...that's just painfully rediculous!!!!! Don't you agree?

Forcing the customer to buy only your own brand gives the customer the exact same feeling as the Microsoft Corporation has acheaved on so many occasions....and that just can NOT be the objective of a company that really listens to its customers like Sony does.......right ??
schoo006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:43 PM   #2

It's too bad that Sony didn't stick with the NP400 KM battery, for which I was able to by OEM batteries for less than 20 US dollars each and I even bought some Maxell versions of the same thing for 10 dollars each. There are alsosome cheap clones out there but I don't trust them and I also heard that some don't fit properly. The amazing thing is that I have shot all day long with one of these batteries and they are tought to kill. I had a feeling the first thing Sony was going to do was switch batteries. I was thankful that that kept the CF card format.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:29 PM   #3

You can buy batteries for the A100 on Ebay for about $10 each including delivery. I'm not sure the mfg would make big moves in updating the circuitry on a A100 in the name of owner loyalty when you can get 1800mh batteries for $10.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4

i made my own
Attached Images

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:40 PM   #5

I think I am confused, what exactly is that?
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:45 PM   #6

I think I am confused, what exactly is that?
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:34 PM   #7

Ok....you all make some fair points there. Thanks for that. I only want to make a few remarks and additions here:

1. I was not talking about how long you can shoot with one single charge of such a "brand" battery; i meant that it bums me very much that i have to pay pretty much money (IF i am in a place that i can buy those "brand" batteries in the first place) when it...ehrr....breaks down...becomes very "bad" and "lazy".
The performance of these batteries when they're still good is not my real "pain"...its the moment i have 2 replace them for new ones. As i said: the tiny Sony Infolithium C NP-FC11 batteries for my DSC -V1 for example dont HAVE to cost 59 euro a PIECE if you ask me.

2. Sony makes (or al least made) compact-cameras too that work pretty fine on a set of AA-cells. My point: If they really wanted to..they could easily make the internal electronics of any given camera work fine with any given voltage above the required minimum.
For example: 6 rechargeable AA's X 1.2 volts = 7.2 volts. The "brand" battery-pack of my JVC digital videocamera provides EXACT the same voltage !!..So this gizmo could have used 6 AA-cells as well instead of this damned expensive factory battery (its 1600 mAh)
Want another example?: The NP-FC11 batteries i have to replace are 3.6 V.......exactly 3 X 1.2 Volts !! (apart from the size-issue ofcourse)

3. Sony (or any given manufacturer) could also make and sell adapters in which you could place AA's or AAA's at a number that gets them the exact voltage they need. Just warn the customer to use only the right battery-technology (eg: Li-ion polymer, or Ni-mH...whatever) with an orange sticker on the inside of the battery compartment-lid...but...i think batteries are BIG business to them...because they're the goods that keep on selling.

Just look at a lot of other battery-operated products like mobile phones, these huge flashlights, MP3/multimedia players etcetera; whenever they LOOK like a very attractive bargain.....it's most of the times the crappy battery-(-technology) that makes it so "in-expensive". Just test my theory in real life. You'll find lots of seemingly 'friendly priced products' using totally worthless (mostly crappy Ni-Cad) batteries. My point: its very worth while to "customize" a battery for your battery-operated product...so you can avoid almost all competition with all those others...and so they do!!

What's your take on all this??
schoo006 is offline   Reply With Quote