Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1

I am about a month into using the alpha and wondered what your experiences are with the pop-up flash. Maybe i am unlucky or maybe the set-up is wrong but here are some light-tricky situations that I had problems with:

Sample 1 - subject by window, and shot is metered for window.
Setup: AWB, ISO400 (auto), Meter mode: multi-segment, kit lens

Solution? Would spot metering or centre-weighted metering be the *correct* setup?

Sample 2 - indoor w/ kit lens. Had spot meter on by mistake. Caused flash (auto) to under-expose
Setup: Spot meter, auto-flash, AUTO mode

Solution? Fixable as shot was RAW and EV could be adjusted to +2

Sample 3 - indoor w/ kit lens. Had spot meter on by mistake. Due to sample 2, I set flash EV +2 Shot was severely over-expoxed.
Setup: Spot meter, flash ev +2 AUTO mode, kit lens

Solution? Fixable (for 1 of the 2 shots) as shot was RAW and EV could be adjusted to -2

There is lots to learn, but overall dSLRs have clear advantages over p&s dsc-t11, especially when comparing within the same brand name (sony).
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:48 PM   #2

First two points:
1) I hate flash and especially the little pop-up.
2) You have the right aproach: try stuff and pay attention.

I got a Sunpak 383 and adapter plus a Stofen diffuser. The 383 has what I consider the major charactoristic required: enough power to throw most of it away. Throw it away by bouncing and diffusing.

Without a lot of bounce and diffusion the saw table shadow would be really gross.

To get the indoor (flash) and outdoor (snow covered hillside) exposures to match, I set the camera to manual, shutter speed 1/160th (antishake off), and guessed the aperature based on the manual setting table on the flash. A few metering shots and looking at the histogram after each and it comes into place pretty quickly.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:05 AM   #3

Maybe I can buy a flash diffuser for my 3500xi (it fires full-power on the alpha).
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4

dupe post