Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:32 PM   #1

Hello,
I have Minolta XtSi SLR film camera and 2 lenses to go with them (one Minolta 28-7x and a quantary 75-300) and also a sunpak flash to go with it. I was wondering if I can replace the film SLR body with a digital SLR body if possible. Please suggest any SLRs which can take the lenses I have. Is it advisable to get a good Konica Minolta SLR body? or is that the only option available? Can I fit the lenses and flash to 5D or 7D? how good are they? Any help appreciated. Thanks a lot guys/girls
xtronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:07 PM   #2
Administrator

The Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, Maxxum 7D (both discontinued now), and new Sony DSLR-A100 (a.k.a., Alpha 100) are all compatible with Minolta Maxxum (a.k.a., Dynax, Alpha, A Mount, Autofocus) mount lenses.

Any Minolta Autofocus lens should work just fine. But, your Quantaray might be an problem. You'd have to try it to find out. Quantaray is the Wolf/Ritz Camera "house brand", and most of these were made by Sigma. Well, Sigma reverse engineers the lens mount protocol, and they have been known to miss part of the protocol implemented in newer camera bodies from time to time. Chances are, it would work. But, compatiblity problems with Sigma occur more often than with other lens manufacturers. It's not worth very much anyway if you need to replace it (75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 or f/6.3 lenses are very cheap on the used market).

But, the chances of that particular lens working are better than average, since I don't recall seeing reports of a 75-300mm Sigma AF lens that's failed to work on a KM or Sony DSLR yet.

Note that your lenses will appear to be 50% "longer" (more apparent magnification) on a DSLR. That's because the sensors are smaller than 35mm film. To see how the angle of view compares to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera, multiply it by 1.5x.

For example, if you used a 50mm lens on a KM or Sony DSLR, you'd have the same angle of view as you would using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm).

That's great if you need more optical zoom. But, not so great if you like to take more wide angle shots. A 28-70mm lens on a DSLR is going to give you roughly the same angle of view range you'd have using a 42-105mm lens on a 35mm camera. If you can live that focal range (same angle of view as you'd have using a 42mm with your film camera on the wide end, you're in business. If not, I'd suggest a wider lens, too.

The narrower angle of view (more apparent magnfication) with a DSLR is one reason that the "kit" lenses with most DSLR models start out at around 18mm (since they will appear to be around 50% longer on a DSLR versus the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera).

What Sunpak Flash model do you have? Do you have the Minolta FS-1100 adapter to go with it (to give your XtSi an ISO standard shoe), or is it designed to use the Maxxum proprietary shoe (or is it PC Sync cord attached)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:35 PM   #3

Thanks you very much for your useful suggestion. Just realized the lens is a Tamron and the flash is Sunpak Powerzoom 5000AF
Thanks again

Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:36 PM   #4

The flash was designed for Minolta SLRs

Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Administrator

From what I can gather about that Sunpak, trigger voltage is relatively low (around 5 volts), and you wouldn't need an adapter if it's dedicated for Minolta Maxxum/Dynax models. But, it may not work correctly. You'd have to try it to find out. Most dedicated third party flashes will not work correctly (they'll usually fire at full power) when used on a newer DSLR (at least in TTL modes).

Flash systems were redesigned for digital. Newer Minolta flash models like the 5600HS (D) and 3600(HS) D will work. But, older flash models like the Minolta 5400HS are not fully compatible, and most 3rd party dedicated flashes won't work correctly with digital either.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote