Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:34 AM   #11

Quote:
All this talk about lenses reminds me... I need a lens fix real bad since it's been months since I have even toyed with the idea of adding another lens to my line-up.¬* I would love to add that new 18-250mm Tamron to my collection as the ultimate sunny day walk around lens... but it's against my principals and judgement to pay full retail for a lens or camera or anything else for that¬*matter no matter how bad I want it.¬* That lens is way too much money for what it is especially since it is fairly useless at indoor event without additional lighting.¬* Would love to glue one onto the end of a 5D or even an A100 as it would make a great mock ultrazoom digicamcamera and virtually dustfree.
I bet the 18-250 would overlap your other lenses? In the end it's really about buying into the convenience of not switching lenses, only to find that sort of lens won't work well at all inside.

My friend got the 18-250 and for a while it was really great. Then he realized it sucked inside, and now wants to spend 3x on a f/2.8. Might as well not have bought the 18-250 in the first place!!!
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:29 AM   #12

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
Then he realized it sucked inside, and now wants to spend 3x on a f/2.8. Might as well not have bought the 18-250 in the first place!!!
Assuming he has no interest in shooting indoors at longer that 50mm, has he considered saving a thousand dollars and gettingthe Tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

Of course, that means he would have to (HORROR OF HORRORS!) change lenses ocassionally.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:31 PM   #13

Good things have also been said about the Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* DT 16-80 F3.5-4.5 SAL-1680CZ
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:34 PM   #14

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Good things have also been said about the Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* DT 16-80 F3.5-4.5 SAL-1680CZ
Yery true, but not about its use indoors.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:23 PM   #15
Administrator

The 24-70mm f/2.8 could be interesting, too (one of the new lenses Sony announced it's planning to release):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so..._alpha_pr.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:12 PM   #16

Schoo,

Any reference for your belief that the 'A500' (whatever the name) will be full-frame?

I've recently been blessed with the opportunity to obtain a Canon 5D in addition to my Minolta 7D. While a thorough comparison is worthy of another post, I'll just offer that a full frame digital sensor is very hard to illuminate with a uniform, sharp image. Even the Canon 'L' glass really struggles to fill the frame with the aperture near wide-open. My astrophotography buddies tell me that they think Canon's going to have to refresh their whole lens line (as they've just done with their 16-35mm) in order to take advantage of those big sensors.

Given all that, and the limited comparative quality of the existing Minolta/Sony 35mm lenses, I'd be surprised if Sony would jump into full frame in 2008. Don't misunderstand me, I'd *love* to have the 7D ergonomics with a big sensor...but I suspect I'd be really disappointed with my existing 35mm lenses based on my current head-to-head camera comparisons. Sony's got their hands full without replacing all their lenses as well.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote