Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:49 PM   #11

I almost bought a 5D or 7D before the alpha. But then ppl warned me and said it is discontinued and servicing would be pricey and limited.

You should use it until it stops working, then get an a100 body and use your existing lenses on the alpha. If you are in the states CC sells it for so little! I wish i lived in the states (just to get an alpha for cheap ha ha ha)
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:28 PM   #12

i have made up my mind

i will use it till it dies of natural causes:G

hope fully by then sony will bring out an updated model

which will send theA 100 price down a bit

but until then i still love this camera
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:44 PM   #13

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
... i still love this camera
I know the feeling.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:50 PM   #14

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
thanks jim

from my calculations it will cost me at least $150 U.S dollars to send this body up and back

then the bullshi^%#%@#%%*&T i will have to put up with customs when it comes back

i wonder now if to cut the loss and use the $150 towards the A100

i had so many second thoughts before i bought the 5D, though i don't regret the pics i got from it, but i had a 24-105 minolta zoom in a cupboard for years hoping to couple it to a digital slr
Wow!!! It costs that much to ship????

I'm not clear if the issue you are having based on your posts is the common first shot black problem where the first shot after turning it it turns black or dark blue and locks up the camera with the ERR message in the display. If it is I recommend the famous JimC First Shot Black treatment. My version may sound different thanhis. Clean the battery contacts, all the contacts inside the battery and lens compartment. Then set your camera to a high speed shutter setting either setting and picture recording mode to a low resolution. Then cycle the shutter until you CF card fills up. I use a 2 GB card so that is quite a few pictures. The reason youa high speed shutter is because you don't want to spend all day trying this. I did it in manual mode and used the highestsetting. The reason you use low resolution is so the camera write speed to the card keeps up with the shutter speed and so thatthecard doesn't fill up too soon. I forget how many cycles I didbutit was a lot. The idea is to break-in or loosen up the shutter.I believe that in some cases this method fixes the problem or at least reduces it.

In my case, it has only happened once on three of my cameras and I have taken thousands of shots with 2 of them since the problem occurred. I believe that it is a combination of a tight shutter combined with a low voltage problem. When this happened on my 7D, it was after sitting in a cold roomfor a few weeks, so the battery was probably week, thecamera was cold and when I brought into the next room, it also fogged up so moisture may have contributed to the electrical problem. All I know it that the camera works flawlessly now. I did send in my 5D to get it fixed despite feeling that it may never happen again, but I am doing that just in case I sell it so that the potential buyer may rest a little easier with the new modified replacement shutter. Though they are fixing them out of warranty I'm not clear if a receipt is still required. I could give them my receipt, but I'm also not sure if Sony will honor the fix to anyone but the original owner. Most companies only offer warranty repairs to the original owner, but since they are fixing them out of warranty, things may be different.

I have another 5D that I will be sending in for the fix, but it has an additional common problem that I believe is only fixed under warranty. It has the less famousn AntiShake lockup condition, where the camera makes a funny noise on startup, which is the sensor trying to center itself, but fails and then prevents thecmaera from taking pictures. It is intermittent but when it happens turning the camera off and on doesn't cure it. The only fix in my case is to let the camera sit for a while, though I haven't figured out how long.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:53 PM   #15

can you tell me to whom i can send the body to have this repaired

i have e mailed sony on this several times and got no responce

Miami Florida is my closest port

Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:08 PM   #16

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
can you tell me to whom i can send the body to have this repaired

i have e mailed sony on this several times and got no responce

Miami Florida is my closest port
You can go to the Sony Support site and fill out a repair request in which case they will email you an event number and shipping instructions to send toPrecision Camera in Enfield Connecticut if you are in the United States. I'm not sure if that is where they will tell you to send if you fill it out with a Trindad address.

Note: WhenI hit the confirm button at the end of feeling out the online form, I received an error message as if the site wasn't working butmy request still got processed. This happened to me over a week ago and it happened again last night for a second repair on another camera. It may just be my system but I'm not sure. Once you hit submit, you may not see the repair email until the next day. You can also go to theprecision camera website their and process the repair through there, but I think it is better to to it through Sony first. Right now as I have posted in another thread, the 5D replacement shutters are in stock so repairs have a quick turn around time.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:32 PM   #17

the shipping does sound high

but you have two choices

1 ship thru a reputable shipping agent and that is expensive

or

2 ship thru the local post office and that is cheap but it will most probably never leave the island