Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:11 AM   #1

Does anyone have a lens-hood for my minolta 28-105 Xi 3.5-4.5 ( http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=264 )??? I smashed it into the back of our rental car when i bent over picking something out of the trunk. (
I looked for this lenshood (not the cap..but the clip-on hood) everywhere..but...no success. Dont tell me that i can use screw-on rubber ones ..because i already tried. It gave me lots of darkness in the corners (dutch people call it "vignettering" ..whats the englisch word?) when combined with a polarisation-filter.
Can somebody get one for me?...or point me somewhere? Thnx in advance.
schoo006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:50 AM   #2
Administrator

schoo006 wrote:
Quote:
I looked for this lenshood (not the cap..but the clip-on hood) everywhere..but...no success.
Try http://www.keh.com and see if they show one listed.

Quote:
Dont tell me that i can use screw-on rubber ones ..because i already tried. It gave me lots of darkness in the corners (dutch people call it "vignettering" ..whats the englisch word?) when combined with a polarisation-filter.
These come in different dimensions designed for different focal length lenses. So, make sure you're trying one that's designed for a lens as wide as yours. Sometimes polarizers will cause a bit of vignetting, even without a lens hood though. If you can't find another solution, you may need to use a step-up ring with a larger hood and filter to get around it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:06 AM   #3

schoo006 wrote:
Quote:
... It gave me lots of darkness in the corners (dutch people call it "vignettering" ..whats the englisch word?) ...
Very close: vignetting
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:32 AM   #4

schoo006 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have a lens-hood for my minolta 28-105 Xi 3.5-4.5 ( http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=264 )??? I smashed it into the back of our rental car when i bent over picking something out of the trunk. (
I looked for this lenshood (not the cap..but the clip-on hood) everywhere..but...no success. Dont tell me that i can use screw-on rubber ones ..because i already tried. It gave me lots of darkness in the corners (dutch people call it "vignettering" ..whats the englisch word?) when combined with a polarisation-filter.
Can somebody get one for me?...or point me somewhere? Thnx in advance.
I agree with Jim... keep trying KEH. They usually have direct replacment hoods, but you have to get lucky. I happen to have one of those lenses brand new in the box, but I plan on selling it since I haveother lenses thatoverlap or cover that range. I bought it on Ebay for a good price at the time, but I didn't really need it.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:02 AM   #5

KEH.com has one right now in excellent conditionfor $8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:49 AM   #6

I have replied twice to your post on DPR. I have the hood you need. It was given to me free, and you can have it for postage. My email is abcopeATswbell.net
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:53 PM   #7

Cope,
I'm very sorry that i didnt reply before. I somehow dont seem to get mail-notifications in my own private mail. Is 'nt that possible on this forum? I've been too busy to check this forum all the time :sad:

I only see 1 reply in this forum. Am i doing something wrong? :?

Where do you live?...If its on the other side of this planet....The shipment will be more expensive than the lenshood ever was ;D

I live in Deventer, Netherlands (Holland)

Thnx 4 ur reply.
schoo006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:19 PM   #8

If you can't find a lens hood, and you really need one, there's something called Blackwrap [gamonline.com]. It's a thick black aluminum foil that can be formed into a lens hood. Most good camera stores over here have it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:41 PM   #9

schoo006 wrote:
Quote:
Cope,
I'm very sorry that i didnt reply before. I somehow dont seem to get mail-notifications in my own private mail. Is 'nt that possible on this forum? I've been too busy to check this forum all the time :sad:

I only see 1 reply in this forum. Am i doing something wrong? :?

Where do you live?...If its on the other side of this planet....The shipment will be more expensive than the lenshood ever was ;D

I live in Deventer, Netherlands (Holland)

Thnx 4 ur reply.
I am in the US, and you may be correct about the postage. I posted my first reply at your DPR post.Do you have anyone coming to the states? As I said, I got this free, and it isn't going anywhere. According to the USPS, International 1st class is only $5.40 US. I will find out if a padded envelope can go 1st class. Please email me at your convenience so we can correspond off forum.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote