Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:10 PM   #1

It's summer time! 6 weeks of sweet vacation for me, and I'm stuck behind this computer trying to finish up 2 slide presentations for 2 upcomming weddings...

The weather is much too nice outside, so I grabbed my 5d, and took a walk around my house. I gotta admit, this is not the first time I've done this, but this is the first time I thought I should really start paying attention to one or two particular aspects in my shots... homework, if you will :-)

So, I walked around looking to capture 1 - texture and 2 shapes. I had a blast, and it was good to get out and stretch.Images straitouta the CF - (with the exception of 3rd from the bottom).

~aloha~

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:16 PM   #2

Wow. While they're all superb, the wheel photo is awesome. Mind if I ask what the illumination consisted of?
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:19 AM   #3

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
Wow. While they're all superb, the wheel photo is awesome. Mind if I ask what the illumination consisted of?
thanks! no flash fired on any of these. the wheel was illuminated with a whole bunch of "mothers aluminum polish" and elbow grease :G. i tried it with the pop-up but didn't like the reflection that came off of the rim. i think it would look better in black and white but i lack the know how to do so.

~aloha~
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:31 AM   #4

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
... i think it would look better in black and white ...
It's almost B&W now.

Here it is after PSE5 (hope you don't mind). Except for the red circle in the logo, I don't see a lot of difference.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:06 AM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
... i think it would look better in black and white ...
It's almost B&W now.

Here it is after PSE5 (hope you don't mind). Except for the red circle in the logo, I don't see a lot of difference.
I see a difference in the look of the chrome
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Actually, I think the fact that the image was very close to monochrome (sic) except for the label is one of the reasons my eye was drawn towards it. I prefer the original, though maybe the saturation on the wheel portion could be adjusted in Photoshop.

Still, great work and thanks for posting.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:48 AM   #7

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I see a difference in the look of the chrome
Yeah, it looks colder and flater.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:37 AM   #8

Mahalos TCav for going through the trouble.

you're probably right about the colder and flatter, i'mstill working on my photographic eyes.in my novice-ness, i'd say it looks cleaner and cooler.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:36 PM   #9

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND IS UNSUPPORTED BY ANY EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.

I think that, while B&W has its artistic value, it produces a flatter image. If that's the goal of the artist or photographer, then fine, but as a tool of general use it generally does the image a disservice.

The human retina is composed of rods and cones (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rods_and_cones). Rods detect illumination, while Cones detect color. (Not unlike the Luminance and Chrominance signals in an analog television signal.)The human eye has a lot more Rods than Cones, so we are able to see at night but are less able to distinguish color at night. In addition, Cones are also used by the human brain to perceive distance. As a result, we have less depth perception at night or in low light (that's why there are signs at the entrances to tunnels suggesting that drivers turn on their headlights.) So B&W images don't provide the depth information that we perceive in color images, and so, appear flatter.

IF THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE AFTER, HAVE A BALL. BUT YOU MAY BE THE VICTIM OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:46 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND IS UNSUPPORTED BY ANY EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.

I think that, while B&W has its artistic value, it produces a flatter image. If that's the goal of the artist or photographer, then fine, but as a tool of general use it generally does the image a disservice.

The human retina is composed of rods and cones (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rods_and_cones). Rods detect illumination, while Cones detect color. (Not unlike the Luminance and Chrominance signals in an analog television signal.)The human eye has a lot more Rods than Cones, so we are able to see at night but are less able to distinguish color at night. In addition, Cones are also used by the human brain to perceive distance. As a result, we have less depth perception at night or in low light (that's why there are signs at the entrances to tunnels suggesting that drivers turn on their headlights.) So B&W images don't provide the depth information that we perceive in color images, and so, appear flatter.

IF THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE AFTER, HAVE A BALL. BUT YOU MAY BE THE VICTIM OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.
Wow... some deep chit!!!

I was under the impression that there was a much more complicated reason why the sign says "put your lights on" Like because it make you see in the dark more betteror. The only thing is that my car is named Christine and she put the headlights on when she wants.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote