Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:36 PM   #11

Another tip is that you don't fall in the trap of wanting to buy lenses because of camera problems!

I'd like to add though that DR is not a serious issue because shots can be saved.

To give you an example of how successful my shots have been, on my sony dsc-t11 p&s, at least half my shots were no good. With Sony (and with slow shutter), i'd have maybe 10% bad shots. After learning about dynamic range, i was at an outdoor bbq, around early evening. Of the 60 shots I took, there were only 4 bad ones (poor focus, 2 were under-exposures). Shooting RAW + JPG is also a good idea early on the process of learning dSLR photography and post-processing.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:15 PM   #12

What happened to the original poster in this thread? I need help sorting out how this thread, that was a model of good intentions by the respondees, provoked so little positive response by the original poster. There was a lot of sincere responses to his "problem". Some experienced and skillful photographers (I do not include myself in that list) took their time to help out. All they got back was how great Nikon and Canon is and how bad Sony was. Every complaint made was responded to by valid solutions about exposure, metering, dynamic range.

As a newbie to photgraphy, I have followed this forum for a couple years as a classroom on photography. I clicked on your helpful links, purchased instruction books recommended, and finally purchased the a100. Obviously I'm new to the forum world and it's etiquette. So I do not want to say anything to discourage the original poster from participating in something that has helped me so much. But the advice he got was right on the money, and I was waiting to hear how well his pictures now turn out.

Best regards,
ChaCha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:28 PM   #13

chacha wrote:
Quote:
What happened to the original poster in this thread? I need help sorting out how this thread, that was a model of good intentions by the respondees, provoked so little positive response by the original poster. There was a lot of sincere responses to his "problem". Some experienced and skillful photographers (I do not include myself in that list) took their time to help out. All they got back was how great Nikon and Canon is and how bad Sony was. Every complaint made was responded to by valid solutions about exposure, metering, dynamic range.

As a newbie to photgraphy, I have followed this forum for a couple years as a classroom on photography. I clicked on your helpful links, purchased instruction books recommended, and finally purchased the a100. Obviously I'm new to the forum world and it's etiquette. So I do not want to say anything to discourage the original poster from participating in something that has helped me so much. But the advice he got was right on the money, and I was waiting to hear how well his pictures now turn out.

Best regards,
ChaCha
Chacha,

I'm with you - forum etiquette could be improved a little although I may be guilty of breeching it myself. There was a recent post by a person looking for a replacement lens hood that he had damaged. Several members here jumped in to help. One told him where to find one, another found the actual hood for him and a third actually offered him a surplus hood for just the shipping cost. Did the poster express any gratitude? NO - hejust started speculating about the cost of shippingthe free hood to Holland. Unbelieveable!

Sorry for the rant and I realize this post is way off topic but you touched a nerve. Good manners don't cost anything.

--Frank
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:19 AM   #14

chacha wrote:
Quote:
As a newbie to photgraphy, I have followed this forum for a couple years as a classroom on photography.* I clicked on your helpful links, purchased instruction books recommended, and finally purchased the a100.* Obviously I'm new to the forum world and it's etiquette.* So I do not want to say anything to discourage the original poster from participating in something that has helped me so much.* But the advice he got was right on the money, and I was waiting to hear how well his pictures now turn out.
This thread should be stickied.

Sometimes the intended path of one learning adventure leads to new unintended opportunities. That's what I have found through my online classroom discussion training

Be sure to join this group and to post your photos:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_alpha/
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:18 PM   #15

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
chacha wrote:
Quote:
This thread should be stickied.

Sometimes the intended path of one learning adventure leads to new unintended opportunities. That's what I have found through my online classroom discussion training

Be sure to join this group and to post your photos:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_alpha/
Thanks for the invitation. I have been over to flickr and really really enjoyed the fantastic photography. There's a couple other sites that I'm sure you know of that I have viewed as well. I never thought I would take such an interest in photography; I originally picked up a camera to shoot pictures (just point and shoot) of my oil paintings and the hills of California that I paint a lot. (My web site is www.billparsonsart.com) But as I read more, I realized that a camera works the same way I do. There's an iris that lets in light and a shutter that determines how long the camera "looks". Wilth this combination it mixes all it's colors and tones. As an artist, I do the same thing. Consequently I caught onto how to use all the exposure and metering features quickly. But I lack the maturity of experience that the good photograhers have on these sites that gives them the real advantage when using a camera. But I am working on that issue everyday. I will certainly start posting my photos as soon as I can.

ChaCha
chacha is offline   Reply With Quote