Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:56 PM   #11

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
one more question Jim C

at least 99.9% of my pics are viewed on thecomputer monitor

very rear i would print one and it is usually to give someone

would i see a huge difference between using raw as compared to jpeg

Jim's response is on the money and some of my shots would be a total loss if not for RAW although some things can be adjusted in JPG and I have have luck even with white balance issues. In some cases if it's just a little color, contrast, brightness, sharpness boost or noise reduction... I simply do it in JPG but RAW works best.

The only thing I hate is how time consuming it is to adjust photos but when I think of how much more time consuming developing film was it puts it back into perspective. As a workaround to reduce post processing, I try to adjust my in camera processing settings close to my expectations, but that is not a perfect cure.

Incidently, I have been using Paint Shop Pro with it's animationshop counterpart for yearsin another hobby of mine and when I gotinto digital photography, it just seem natural to run with it. I say that despite also owning Photshop. I preferred Paint Shop Pro before it was taken over by Corel but the Corel versions include the RAW convertors. My version of Photoshop doesn't convert RAW without buying addtional plug-ings. BTW, Photoshop plug-ins work with Paint Shop Pro. I have Version 10, but they are up to version 11.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:52 AM   #12

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
one more question Jim C

at least 99.9% of my pics are viewed on the¬*computer monitor

very rear i would print one and it is usually to give someone

would i see a huge difference between using raw as compared to jpeg

¬*
How do you mean? Do you submit your RAW file to the film developers or convert to JPG first?

That is good to know. It's a shame that we all keep 99% pics on a computer and not print any of them!
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:41 AM   #13

I am a new user of a Sony A-100 and have started to experiment with the RAW format and using the software that came with the camera for viewing and processing the pictures. I have some questions!

1) Is this software adaquate for most conversion work? It seems to be but I am a novice.

2) I have Paint Shop Pro, version 7 including manuals, and version 9 given to me on a CD.

3) I am seeing that a lot of people use Photoshop Elements. Would it be worthwhile for me to get this software rather than use Paint Shop?

4) Lastly, what are the advantages of shooting RAW+Jpeg vs. just shooting in the RAW mode.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:55 PM   #14

I can answer #1 and #4, since I use Photoshop CS.

#1 - The sony raw converter is somewhat slow, but it does the job. I find i mostly use WB, EV, and WB temp. I don't use the sharpening stuff.

#4 RAW+JPG is convenient. It saves you the trouble of converting all your RAW to JPG on your computer. Try batch conversion. You can apply a setting to all your shots. It's easy, but if you shoot RAW+JPG you get the JPG right away. It uses more space though.

I find RAW to be most useful to correct indoor shots and shots indoor + flash. For outdoor...not really that useful.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote