Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:23 AM   #1

Has anyone ever experianced this?

The other day I turned on my camera and it made a sound like the lens trying to autofocus except the lens wasn't moving. The sound did not stop until I turned. It happened to me again and since I had my camera serviced recently I began to think it was as a result of being repair until I started to try and duplicate the behavior. I turned my camera off and on several times and sure enough I got the symptoms. I noticed that it only happens if I immediatly turn it on after just turning if off. I also noticed that it coincide with the memory card light operation. The lights stays on briefly after turning it off and if I turn the camera on before the light goes out it happens every time. It might just be a coincidence and strictly a matter of happening in the same time frame, but I think what is happening is that it is booting up the lens incorrectly as a result. My guess is that by turning on the camera so soon it screws up the boot process and the motor is trying to operate the lens but the lens is not engaged. The lens this happened with is the Tamron 28-300mm. I had the beer can handy and tried to get the beercan to do it but couldn't. I notice the beercan boots much quicker. I would have tried a few more lenses but it was late.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:47 PM   #2

i would try your 28-300 on another body and see what happens.

similar thing happened with my sigma 70-300 and it ended up being the auto focus mechanism in the lens itself.

the guy that repaired it told me not to keep trying it cause i could mess up the af motor in the body itself.

ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:47 AM   #3

I tried another Tamron lens this morning and it didn't do it. I think it's the lens, but I will try it on another body. Assuming it is the lens, I wonder if it is normal behaviour for this model. Somehow I doubt it, but at least Tamron has a decent warranty.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4

I found the following by looking on the Tamron site:

Compatibility with Minolta Maxxum D - October 2005
Take caution when using models A061 (AF28-300mm Di), A09 (SP AF28-75mm Di), A05 (SP AF17-35mm Di) and A08 (SP AF200-500mm Di) with the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D.

Turning the camera power back on while the compact flash access lamp is still lit leads to a malfunction of the AF (auto focus) mechanism of the camera. Make sure the access lamp is not lit when turning the camera power on.

In order to prevent this malfunction (ex. AF coupler running idle), turn the camera power off and turn it back on after the access lamp is no longer lit.

Please contact Tamron's service department at 1-800-827-8880 or email [email protected] for details.