Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:08 AM   #11

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Used the Alpha A100+Tamron 17-50mm to capture some images of rain soaked flowers. I've seen some fantastic shots on this subject. If anyone knows how to do this properly I'd like to hear from you.
How to do it properly? Just a simple question like that? :=)

The answer is much the same as for any other photo: watch composition, lighting, backround, focus, ... (esp watch the ...). In the example you posted, there is a shadow on the subject - I'd suggest avoiding that. I'd also suggest getting a photo of the flowere before the bugs get a bite out of it - unless you include the bug in the shot.

A dark -almost black- background is a matter of taste, but would suggest that you experiment with various light level variations between the forground (subject) and the background. Easiest done by cutting the flower and moving it about. What works depends, at least in partm on how dark the flower is. I don't think these Siberian Irus's would work well against dark background. (Photo meant to be seen against a white background.)

Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:31 AM   #12

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
The answer is much the same as for any other photo: watch composition, lighting, backround, focus, ... (esp watch the ...). In the example you posted, there is a shadow on the subject - I'd suggest avoiding that. I'd also suggest getting a photo of the flowere before the bugs get a bite out of it - unless you include the bug in the shot.

A dark -almost black- background is a matter of taste, but would suggest that you experiment with various light level variations between the forground (subject) and the background. Easiest done by cutting the flower and moving it about. What works depends, at least in partm on how dark the flower is. I don't think these Siberian Irus's would work well against dark background. (Photo meant to be seen against a white background.)

Well, at least the bugs enjoyed it! Thanks for the critique.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:20 AM   #13

Was looking through some of my old stuff. Here's a few other flower shots - with and without raindrops.

-Don

donm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:37 AM   #14

And that brings us to the next thing I learned when taking photographs of flowers, I try to get in as close as possible, eliminating any unwanted background. Using a macro lens is great as you'll be able to step in closer. I used my Sigma 28-135 for the shots above. This Sigma has a macro feature at the 135 length. It's not really a true macro, but it'll do in a pinch.

Also, most of my flower shots were taken using manual focus. I compose, fiddle a bit with my lens' focusing ring, if that still doesn't work, I weave in and out using my body until I get the detail I want. It takes patience and believe it or not, the AS feature really helps!

Other tricks - when it's windy, it really helps if you had a friend with you to hold up something to block the wind. A portable diffuser's a great candidate. It'll also help even out the light hitting the flower.

-Don
donm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:03 PM   #15

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
Howzit Frank~

It was a nice day today, so I grabbed my 5D and headed outside. I have a small anthurium patch that I grow flowers in, so I walked around a bit and snapped these. No rain and the sun was going down. I didn't bother cropping as there was yardwork to be done :-)

Taken with your garden variety 75-300 4.5-5.6 D. That lens has not left my bag for a long time. Thought it a good day to give it a whirl.

aloha
Hello Hawaii Built,

Nice shots! I really like #3.

--Frank
hey frank -

thanks for the kind words. this was a quick spur of the moment thing. i only had a few minutes in the garden as i had to get dinner started before the wife got home... i'd say my40 dollar zoom didn't do too bad. maybe it won't go up on e-bay after all :lol:. i think my midyear resolution will be to get out on these quick photo shoots more often. the skill won't increase with the camera sitting idle!

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote