Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:21 PM   #1

I've finally decided to take the plunge from film to digital. Since I have a Minolta Maxxum 5000i with 35-80mm and 70-210mm AF lenses, I was wondering if I should buy the body only or get the kit. Any thoughts?

(I've tested both lenses and they work on the A100. I usually take landscapes when traveling and a few candids.)
cmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:50 PM   #2

Hi

Depends where in the world you are. In the Uk, you could buy the 18-70 kit for the 'silver' version (actually graphite) from argos for just £339 (you have to collect from a local store, no mail order). Then sell the lens as new on ebay if you can (it isn't a good seller). Can you buy a body only for that price on the black version?
ClevaTreva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:56 PM   #3

I'm in the US. I can find the body only for $600 - $700 and the kit for $700 - $800. My thoughts are that I will need the kit 18 - 70mm for wide-angle shots; I assume my current 35-80mm lens will effectively be 50-120mm on a digital camera. Is that right?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:23 PM   #4

Wow.

How to get your post count up fast!

In the UK we have duty and tax on the camera that means that kit at £349 (approx 700 dollars, is the equivalent of 570 dollars). So, I expect the price will fall in the USA as well by the 100 dollars it has here (ish).

As to the monolta af lenses, some work Ok, some not. Some have 5pins, but the a100 has 7 (not sure what the two extra do). Some need re-chipping. can't see why they be different from one camera to another. focal length is focal length. The sony a100 is effectively what konica minolta would have made next had they continued. Sony ahve done a great job cramming in so much function for so little price.

Take your lenses to a local store and check it out.
ClevaTreva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:38 PM   #5

ClevaTreva wrote:
Quote:
As to the monolta af lenses, some work Ok, some not. Some have 5pins, but the a100 has 7 (not sure what the two extra do). Some need re-chipping. can't see why they be different from one camera to another. focal length is focal length. The sony a100 is effectively what konica minolta would have made next had they continued. Sony ahve done a great job cramming in so much function for so little price.

Take your lenses to a local store and check it out.
All AF lenses made by Minolta will work on the Sony A100. Some older Sigma AF lenses have to be re-chipped to work correctly on the A100.

Older, non "D" series lens have 5 contacts. "D" series lens actually have 8 contacts. The "D" series lens support ADI (Advanced Distance Integration". The extra pins are used to exchange ADI data between the lens and the body. ADI data can be used by the body to more accurately control a camera mounted flash. (So it is claimed).

The body/kit topic has come before in this forum. The popular concenus is go with the kit lens as it represents good value for money and replace it later if necessay when you have a better idea about what lens would serve you best.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:47 PM   #6

The kit lens costs about US$100 - can you find another lens that short for that price with the same or better quality? I think the answer is no, so the only reason to not purchase the kit lens is if you are planning on spending a good chunk of money to get a wide lens that is better and/or faster.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:51 PM   #8

Your 35-80 will be x1.5 so that is 52mm on the alpha. The kit will give you 28mm.

The kit lens is very good for what you pay ($100 with body). Even if you upgraded to a better lens, the kit is good as a backup or to put on when you don't want to take out/damage some upgraded CZ lens!
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote