Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:59 PM   #1

Since the long discontinued"Beercan" lensnow seems tohave acquired "cult classic" status,going for more than its original selling price, I got to wondering if it was really that good. I made a few tele-macro comparison shots and posted them in the close-up forum- certainly not comprehensive, nordefinitive, but interesting nonetheless. Is it worth it? You decide. Take a look if you are interested:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

Comment here or there.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:30 PM   #2

I sold the one i had...enough said
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:10 PM   #3

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
And your point is????
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
And your point is????
Apparently, enough wasn't said. :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:35 PM   #5

OK I SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU........IT SUCKED
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:01 PM   #6
Administrator

Quality appears to vary a lot between copies of the Beercan. The color of the coatings and more are often different, too. I've seen a number of posts from users that have (or had) more than one describing some differences in them. Some of it is probably changes in manufacturing along the way, and some of it is likely due to the lenses being banged around over the years.

I can remember one thread a while back by Jim N'AZ on another forum, where he was so impressed with one Beercan (sharpness, lack of CA, etc.) that he ended up returning a Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 G he found at a good price, because he couldn't justify the extra cost over the [good] beercan he found. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Some of it is probably changes in manufacturing along the way
I have notices quite a range of serial numbers on these lenses advertised on ebay - from under 1 million to over 3 million. Perhaps they coded manufacturers with whom they contractedthe way Vivitar did with their Series 1 lenses, switching from year to year, and the numbers are not actually reflective of the number made.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:48 PM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quality appears to vary a lot between copies of the Beercan. The color of the coatings and more are often different, too. I've seen a number of posts from users that have (or had) more than one describing some differences in them. Some of it is probably changes in manufacturing along the way, and some of it is likely due to the lenses being banged around over the years.

I can remember one thread a while back by Jim N'AZ on another forum, where he was so impressed with one Beercan (sharpness, lack of CA, etc.) that he ended up returning a Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 G he found at a good price, because he couldn't justify the extra cost over the [good] beercan he found. lol
I wonder if anyone has attempted to correlate quality with serial numbers?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:24 PM   #9

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
OK I SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU........IT SUCKED
Funny, mine doesn't...!!!!!!

Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:45 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:

It's beensuggested that some of the high end branded lenses weremore a result of better quality control ensuringa higher percentage of good copies leaving the factory as opposed to be being much better optics in many cases. I'm inclined to believe it since we often see such a variance in results in some of our favorite middle of the road lenses. Case in point... all the mixed reviews we get on lenses like the 28-75mm 2.8 D. Some of us love that lens and others hate it.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote