Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:13 PM   #1

I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Sony - Purchasing a HVL-F56AM and auctioning my beloved 3600hs-d (and maybe my 75-300 4.5-5.6 D "Circuit City special") to finance it.

Before I do, is there any issues orconcerns that I should know about? I haven't read much about this flash, and I'm assuming it's just a 5600 rebranded as a Sony.

I'd be out on the long zoom department, but I hardly ever use the 75-300... It'll be a good excuse to buy a beercan (or sigma 70-200 f2.8 :G) in the future.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/input.

aloha
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:55 AM   #2

Hello Hawaii Built,

Here's a little info in this article - I'm not sure if it helps you much:

http://photoclubalpha.com/?p=73

I have both the 3600HS(D) and the 5600HS(D) - I like them both although the 5600HS(D) is obviously more versatile and powerful. The only thing I don't like is the battery compartment cover - it feels like it could easily be snapped off.

--Frank
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:17 AM   #3

I would get the Metz 54 before I would get the sony 5600. Sony flashes produce a lot of lazy eye.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks Frank and Tango. That Metz looks pretty yummy but expensive. Dynuxm had it listed selling at Adorama and B&H for $389, about 90 bucks more than Sony's 56. The write up and passed comments posted on this board really has me thinking hard now.

Aloha
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:42 PM   #5

Waiting on our super moderator to chime in on this :G....

Thanks to Frank and Tango's responses, I began searching around this and other boards for options and a bit of education on flashes. I realized that I NEVER do any off camera flashwork, nor plan on doing anything that would require me to go wireless. Lazy eye also bugs me to no end - I've got it myself as I discovered while playing around with the timer on my 5D and sitting in front of the camera. The 3600 I have now is not very automatic, and I find myself constantly previewing images that I snapped and making quick adjustments to either aperature or flash compensation for an improved result.

I am by no means a flash expert, this seems more of a black magic thing to me, but i'm getting to the conclusion that given my needs and how I find the KM/Sony flashes perform (for me), I would be better off looking elsewhere. The Metz would be great, but I'm thinking this is much too much flash for an inexperienced shooter like me. Jim's Sunpak set up looks interesting and relatively easy to use for a beginner. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=53...

I hope he's able to chime in and expand a bit more on this... it sounds like this sunpak will require me to pick a shooting range or distance, dial in theaperature and ISO that is shown on the back of the flash, and fire.... Thus, I can still continue to shoot in A-mode (something I feel comfortable in doing), and get nicely exposed shots.Will the flash still be able to control flash output even when bouncing?

aloha
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:54 PM   #6
Administrator

I don't read every thread. It's just by luck that I spotted this one. lol

There are some "in between" solutions available, too.

For example, you could grab a Metz 40MZ3 on the used market and get a current SCA3302M5 (or newer M6 or M7) foot to go with it (even if you have to buy it separately).

Then, the flash would be aware of camera settings used for Aperture and ISO speed, and you could take advantage of the built in sensor in the 40MZ3 to eliminate the need for a preflash. It doesn't support all of the features of the 54MZ3 or 4, though (you don't get things like High Speed Sync with the 40MZ3).

You could also use one with the standard ISO foot with an FS-1100 or equivalent adapter (setting the ISO speed and aperture on the flash to match the camera settings manually), until you got the correct foot if you spotted a bargain on one that didn't have a newer SCA3302 foot on it (but, the correct foot would eliminate the need to use an adapter like the FS-1100).

I don't think the cheaper 32MZ3 supports that kind of thing (but, I could be mistaken). I know that works with the 40MZ3 though (I've seen others report that using a newer SCA3302 foot with one lets it recognize the camera settings OK using it's Auto mode).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:08 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't read every thread. It's just by luck that I spotted this one. lol

There are some "in between" solutions available, too.

For example, you could grab a Metz 40MZ3 on the used market and get a current SCA3302M5 (or newer M6 or M7) foot to go with it (even if you have to buy it separately).

Then, the flash would be aware of camera settings used for Aperture and ISO speed, and you could take advantage of the built in sensor in the 40MZ3 to eliminate the need for a preflash. It doesn't support all of the features of the 54MZ3 or 4, though (you don't get things like High Speed Sync with the 40MZ3).

You could also use one with the standard ISO foot with an FS-1100 or equivalent adapter (setting the ISO speed and aperture on the flash to match the camera settings manually), until you got the correct foot if you spotted a bargain on one that didn't have a newer SCA3302 foot on it (but, the correct foot would eliminate the need to use an adapter like the FS-1100).

I don't think the cheaper 32MZ3 supports that kind of thing (but, I could be mistaken). I know that works with the 40MZ3 though (I've seen others report that using a newer SCA3302 foot with one lets it recognize the camera settings OK using it's Auto mode).

thanks for the reply! Yikes, those metz feet are quite expensive. I've got my 3600, and have decided to wait and do a bit more researching (and tinker around with the flash I have) before I make any new purchase - In the meantime, I got my eye out on the usual internet sites for a good deal.... besides, I just dropped some cash on my dicain grip and a couple ofbatteries :G. Did I need it? -probably not. Do I want it? -you betcha!

~aloha~
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:03 PM   #8

Hello Hawaii Built,

What feature(s) are you missing from the 3600HS(D) that you think you need? One that immediately comes to mind is the lack of swivel if you do bounce flash.

The feature that I like best is HSS which is available on both the Sony models and in some modes on the MZ54. HSS is great for lightening up shadows in backlit portrait shot when using wider apertures.

--Frabk
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:48 AM   #9

Howzit Frank~

I am generally satisfied with my 3600hs-d. I'd really like a flash that swivels though. Originally, I was giving some thought about the HVL-F56AM from Sony, but thought that if I was going to pony up the scripts for a new flash, it may be wise to look at some other options i.e. Metz as shots illuminated with that flash look better exposed (from what I've seen on this board and elsewhere). The Metz also looks attractive because it does not fire a pre-flash.

I realize that I may not be getting correctly exposed flash shots because ofmy lack in craft and photography mechanics - which is why I'm not really hurrying to pick anything up just yet.... I've decided to shoot a bit more with the equipment I have and go from there....... Don't get me wrong though, should a sweet deal happen to come my way, I'm pouncing on it. :-)

aloha
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:34 AM   #10

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
Howzit Frank~

I am generally satisfied with my 3600hs-d. I'd really like a flash that swivels though. Originally, I was giving some thought about the HVL-F56AM from Sony, but thought that if I was going to pony up the scripts for a new flash, it may be wise to look at some other options i.e. Metz as shots illuminated with that flash look better exposed (from what I've seen on this board and elsewhere). The Metz also looks attractive because it does not fire a pre-flash.

I realize that I may not be getting correctly exposed flash shots because ofmy lack in craft and photography mechanics - which is why I'm not really hurrying to pick anything up just yet.... I've decided to shoot a bit more with the equipment I have and go from there....... Don't get me wrong though, should a sweet deal happen to come my way, I'm pouncing on it. :-)

aloha
Hello Hawaii Built,

Forgive me if you have already seen this but if you haven't it may be relevant to your research:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24090000

I have seensome negative comments concerning the build quality of Sigma flash units but no doubt your research will uncover that.

--Frank