Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:44 PM   #1

Hi All,

I've been drooling over the new Zeiss lenses from Sony. Unfortunately, my wallet's not deep enough. :?

I'm thinking of getting those old M42 mount lenses for the Contax, Kiev and other former Soviet Union cameras and mounting them on my 5D. I plan to buy an M42 to KM5D adapter. Has anyone tried this?

I'll lose my auto-focus, but I can live with that. I'll have to set my aperture manually on the M42 lens, but that's ok too.

Any comments/suggestions will be most welcome.

-Don
donm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:51 AM   #2
Administrator

You may find some of the threads over at Dyxum on this subject to be of use. For example, this "sticky" type thread has information on some of the MC/MD to Maxxum adapters available:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

They even have a dedicated m42 subforum over at dyxum.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18

One issue with some adapters is the ability to focus to infinity. So, you'll find optical elements in some, with varying degrees of magnification (1.2x, 1.3x, etc.) to try and allow focus to infinity.

Minolta's MC/MD lens to Maxxum body adapter was a 2x (equivalent to using a 2x Teleconverter). But, most third party adapters don't use that much magnification.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:40 PM   #3

Hi JimC,

Many thanks for the great link. It made for great reading and good timing too. I was all set to buy an adapter from eBay but didn't go through with it because of the reviews that I saw on the dyxum site.

I'll probably buy the one from BH and then test it first on my film Dynax 5 body before trying it on my 5D.

-Don
donm is offline   Reply With Quote