Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1

Overcome by lens lust again (first one in several weeks!). Once again, Austin, my faithful companion and assistant rises to the occasion for a test shot.

These older Minolta primes are reallygreat lenses.

Attached Images

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Yep, it's a pretty good lens.

If this lens were not so darn long on a DSLR with an APS-C size sensor (it's more like using a 200mm lens on a 35mm camera from an angle of view perspective), I'd probably use mine more often.

I also like the built in slide out hood that Minolta put in some of their primes like this one. That way, I don't misplace it or lose it. lol

They can be handy in low light, too. I took some snapshots at a kids basketball game earlier in the year using both a Minolta 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8, and the 135mm did much better than expected for an f/2.8 lens indoors.

It's focal length was a bit long to use there though, especially with the shallow DOF with me framing so tightly from where I was sitting. If my brother-in-law convinces me to go with him to another game (his grandkids were playing), I'll bring a 50mm (even my 100mm was a bit too long for many shots), or sit where I'm further away. lol I think it handled it just fine though (AF speed, sharpness, wide open, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:49 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Yep, it's a pretty good lens.

If this lens were not so darn long on a DSLR with an APS-C size sensor (it's more like using a 200mm lens on a 35mm camera from an angle of view perspective), I'd probably use mine more often.

I also like the built in slide out hood that Minolta put in some of their primes like this one. That way, I don't misplace it or lose it. lol

They can be handy in low light, too. I took some snapshots at a kids basketball game earlier in the year using both a Minolta 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8, and the 135mm did much better than expected for an f/2.8 lens indoors.

It's focal length was a bit long to use there though, especially with the shallow DOF with me framing so tightly from where I was sitting. If my brother-in-law convinces me to go with him to another game (his grandkids were playing), I'll bring a 50mm (even my 100mm was a bit too long for many shots), or sit where I'm further away. lol I think it handled it just fine though (AF speed, sharpness, wide open, etc.).
It sounds like the 85mm f/1.4 might be a useful addition to your line-up (if you don't already have one). It's a pity they are a little pricey.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:00 PM   #4
Administrator

I think I'll opt for the "sit further away" instead if I go to another game. lol

Nah, I don't have the 85mm. For primes, I've got the 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8

Actually, I debated for a long time on whether or not to get the 85mm f/1.4 or the 100mm f/2.

I watched two different 85mm f/1.4's go through keh.com at $310 each, and passed them over, waiting for a 100mm f/2 to pop up somewhere instead. Adorama finally got a 100mm f/2 in and I grabbed it for $299.

The 100mm f/2 is sharper at all apertures in common compared to the 85mm f/1.4G according to MTF charts, and since I knew I'd probably want to use one at wider apertures, I decided the 100mm f/2 would be a better bet for me (and I don't regret that choice, as it's a darn good lens, even wide open).

But, in hindsight (given price increases on the used market), I should have bought both of those 85s as well as the 100mm f/2 (if for no other reason than to resell them). lol

Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:18 PM   #5
Administrator

BTW, the 135mm f/2.8 was the very first Maxxum mount lens I bought.

I bought the 135mm f/2.8 before I even had a Maxxum mount camera to mount it on. The anti-shake combined with higher ISO speeds was just too attractive to pass up. So, I was debating on whether or not to go with a 7D or 5D, and decided to start buying my lenses while waiting on the 5D to start shipping in order to compare the 5D and 7D more carefully.

I wanted to make sure I got my lenses before the 5D started shipping, because I suspected prices on the used market would increase soon thereafter (and they did). lol

Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:40 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I think I'll opt for the "sit further away" instead if I go to another game. lol

Nah, I don't have the 85mm. For primes, I've got the 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8

Actually, I debated for a long time on whether or not to get the 85mm f/1.4 or the 100mm f/2.

I watched two different 85mm f/1.4's go through keh.com at $310 each, and passed them over, waiting for a 100mm f/2 to pop up somewhere instead. Adorama finally got a 100mm f/2 in and I grabbed it for $299.

The 100mm f/2 is sharper at all apertures in common compared to the 85mm f/1.4G according to MTF charts, and since I knew I'd probably want to use one at wider apertures, I decided the 100mm f/2 would be a better bet for me (and I don't regret that choice, as it's a darn good lens, even wide open).

But, in hindsight (given price increases on the used market), I should have bought both of those 85s as well as the 100mm f/2 (if for no other reason than to resell them). lol

Perhaps a crystal ball would be a useful addition to the line-up? :-)

That 100mm f/2 is a fantastic lens and very hard to find. I remember seeing one of your shots from this lens - it was unbelievably crisp.