Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:16 AM   #1

I am just now moving from 35mm film to DSLR. I have several Minolta AF lenses that I have been using with my Minolta Maxum 35mm. I read a review on this board that indicated that the A100's mount would accept Minolta AF lenses. I am wanting to know how they perform with this body. I would think that there would need to be some operator ajustments for the different size's between film and CCD. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve

Engineer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:53 PM   #2

I would post this here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=84
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3

Hi Steve,
I bought my A-100 for preciesely the reasons you mentioned.. I have a Minolta Maxxum 700 and a few lenses, filters, ect., and have tried them all with very good results, at least for my limited skill levels.

I did get the K version with the 18-70 lens and use it most often. The 70-210 gets a workout when I go to the kids soccer games and swim meets. The old 50mm f1.7 is great for portraits, indoor shots and general photo shots.

Good luck.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:00 PM   #4
Administrator

Cyberf828 wrote: Thread moved. If you see a thread that needs to be moved, just send a PM to one of the moderators and we can do that for you.

Engineer Steve:

We've got separate forums setup for DSLR and non-DSLR cameras. So, I moved this one to the correct forum in our DSLR section.

I'll let the others comment with more info. But, sure you can use your existing Minolta AF lenses with a Sony or Konica Minolta DSLR model.

There will be some differences in what you see.

Basically, because the sensor in a DSLR like this is smaller than 35mm film (it's APS-C size), you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for any given focal length, compared to using that same focal length on a 35mm camera.

To see how they compare, just multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x, to see what focal length lens would give you that same angle of view on a 35mm model.

For example, a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera would appear to be a 75mm lens (50mm x 1.5x = 75mm) on a DSLR like this from an angle of view perspective (apparent magnification, what you see in the viewfinder and resulting image) when used on a DSLR.

That's great if you want a longer lens. ;-) But, sometimes you may need something wider than you already have. That's one reason most DSLR models have kit lenses available that start out around 18mm.

For example, the 18-70mm kit lens for the Sony would give you approximately the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-105mm lens on a 35mm camera.

So, I'd take that into consideration for lens needs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

I see that this is your first post here. So, Welcome to the Forums.

JimC

Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:45 PM   #6

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the information. I agree with you but, it is a way to not just throw out 30 years of lenses. Here is a tougher question that you might answer for me.

I went and tried out a A100 at a local CC store. I am nearly blind in both eyes. I mainly used a wide angle lense and telephoto one with my 35 mm bodies. I was informed by the salesperson that the 2.5" LCD will not display an image of what the camera is seeing until after I have taken a shot. Is there a fix for this?

Steve

Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:55 AM   #7
Administrator

Steve, like a 35mm SLR, a dSLR like the Alpha 100 gives you a through the lens (TTL) view through it's viewfinder.

This design uses a mirror in the way of the light path to the sensor (or film), to redirect that image coming from the lens up to focusing screen, and on to the pentamirror or pentaprism and then on on to your viewfinder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...cal_viewfinder

So, the mirror blocks the light path to the sensor, only swinging out of the way when you take the photo (causing a momentary viewfinder blackout, just like you have with a 35mm SLR as it swings back and forth).

Non-DSLR camera models don't use this kind of TTL (through the Lens) design, so they can pass the image from the lens to their sensor (and use that to provide an image to the LCD).

There are a few DSLR models that have the ability to use a special mode that leave their mirror up so that the main sensor provides a feed to an LCD. But, they are not as easy to use with this mode. The new Olympus E410 and E510 are cameras with a Live Feed feature (but, if you consider that option, make sure to try it in a store, as it's not as useful as it's cracked up to be according to some reviewers).

You can also find solutions designed to capture the image from an optical viewfinder and provide a Live feed from it to an LCD. See this site for more details:

http://www.zigview.co.uk/

Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:42 AM   #8

Jim,

That information was great. I have examined the items you suggested and now have some ideas to explore further. I really appreciate your assistance.

Steve