Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:51 AM   #11

still only 12.2:sad:
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:11 PM   #12

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
still only 12.2:sad:
You're a 'the glass is half empty' kind of guy, aren't you?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:09 AM   #13

I pre-ordered an Alpha 700 on Thursday. So I'm looking forward to sharing my impressions in a month or so (I hope!).
garykohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:34 PM   #14

I preordered mine yesterday. I also ordered the vertical grip. Thanks alot Santa, also my birthday and my anniversary.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:34 PM   #15

Scanning at the reviews, I see they dumped the extra controls and dials on the 7D in favor of a 'Quick Navi' feature. Yuck.

Thank goodness I switched to Canon. Time to start selling the Minolta glass while you guys are still excited about this new body. Sorry to be negative guys, but this isn't the type of improvements I was waiting for. Remote controls, memory sticks...it's all gadgets rather than serious photographic tools. Maybe the 900 will deliver.

Sony, you've delivered precisely the type of watered-down consumer product I expected. Good luck.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:42 PM   #16

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
Scanning at the reviews, I see they dumped the extra controls and dials on the 7D in favor of a 'Quick Navi' feature. Yuck.

Thank goodness I switched to Canon. Time to start selling the Minolta glass while you guys are still excited about this new body. Sorry to be negative guys, but this isn't the type of improvements I was waiting for. Remote controls, memory sticks...it's all gadgets rather than serious photographic tools. Maybe the 900 will deliver.

Sony, you've delivered precisely the type of watered-down consumer product I expected. Good luck.
I am glad you switched to Canon also.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:47 PM   #17
Administrator

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
Time to start selling the Minolta glass while you guys are still excited about this new body. Sorry to be negative guys, but this isn't the type of improvements I was waiting for. Remote controls, memory sticks...it's all gadgets rather than serious photographic tools. Maybe the 900 will deliver.
You're getting higher resolution, super construction quality, improved viewfinder, a beefed up Autofocus System (which makes all of your lenses focus faster), beefed up shutter design, improved Stabilization, improved buffer depth and frame rate, lower noise levels and higher available ISO speeds, high resolution LCD display and much more.

Those improvements are not "gadgets".

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:49 PM   #18
NHL

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
How's the A700's front and rear control dials any different from the Canon?
In which areas are the 40D any better may I ask?
(... and I already currently shoot with Canon)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:13 PM   #19

I clearly touched a nerve and I apologize for any insult to the great posters and readers here. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so glib earlier today. Let me be more specific in my concerns as invited.

For me, the big advantage to the Canon system is the pace of innovation. While there are disadvantages to my Canon body, they introduce 2 to 3 times more bodies per year than Sony...allowing me to optimize the feature and price point that interests me. Yes, I'm speaking of the broad range of consumer and professional bodies and markets that Canon serves...and that Sony seems to have expressed interest in penetrating.

I originally selected Minolta many years ago because of the unique features which I felt would assist me with my amateur photography. These included an eye sensor and in-camera focus motor (the Maxxum 7-series) and the exquisite controls on the 7D. These advantages were (and to some degree, still are) unique to Minolta and were inherited by Sony. The in-camera anti-shake and focus motors are still both excellent features which allow Sony owners to utilize and expand their lens collections in a cost-effective fashion. The other enhancements seem (to me) to add imaging and focus capabilities which are equivalent to the capabilities of other vendors.

Perhaps my expectations were unreasonable, but given Sony's native expertise with imaging semiconductors, I was hoping that the consumer model would carry the near full-frame sensor that is widely anticipated early next year in the high-end Sony model. Likewise, I was hoping that Sony would return to the control-laden approach of the 7D. Again, these hopes reflect my personal preferences and may have been unrealistic in a consumer model.

Thanks for keeping me honest guys.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:56 PM   #20

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
... Time to start selling the Minolta glass while you guys are still excited about this new body. ...
So ...

Whatcha got?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote