Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:22 AM   #21
NHL

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
For me, the big advantage to the Canon system is the pace of innovation...
I must love their marketing!

Let set aside the lust they created by their MrkIII series for a moment until Sony had their equivalent and take a look @ the innovations during the past few years in their pro-sumer offerings, not that Canon was already slighly behind in their 8Mp dSLRs when everyone else were coming out with 10Mp and now some 18 months later their best is 10Mp when the rest of the industry is already on the 12Mp bandwagon...

OK let's look at a few innovations:
1. Liveview - Oly 1st
2. Antidust - Oly 1st
3. In-Body IS - Minolta 1st
4. Wireless flash - Minolta 1st and by a decade
5. Autofocus - Minolta 1st, a year before Nikon and a full 2-years before Canon
6. Did anyone google? Not only the 1st, but the 2nd dSLR as well (with APS-C mount lens to boot) were also created by Minolta before anyone else...

-> As for the pace based on past performance Canon's is 18 months. Sony already released two cameras within their 12 short months on the market with a 3rd model coming. Nikon IMO have the highest pace of camera releases in the past year: D200, D40/D40s, D80, and D300
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:40 AM   #22

I must admit that i holding my breath for the reviews to start popping up! I donĀ“t have that much money bound in nikon lenses and the d300 seems to be out of my pricerange ( and lacking SSS which really is a must for me ). So the a700 could be the one.

I must admit i think sony could have a winner here except for the lack of liveview. But for me at least liveview without a swivel LCD takes some of the edge of the idea.

REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW!!!!!
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:15 AM   #23

NHL wrote:
Quote:
OK let's look at a few innovations:
5. Autofocus - Minolta 1st, a year before Nikon and a full 2-years before Canon
Well, not exactly.

The first autofocus camera was the Konica C35 AF, released in November 1977. The first autofocus SLR was the Polaroid SX-70 Sonar Onestep in 1978. The first autofocus 35mm SLR was the Pentax ME F, released in November 1981, but it was not a commercial sucess. (The autofocus motor was in the lens, not the body, and there weren't a lot of lenses for it.)(Sound familiar?)

The Minolta Maxxum 7000 didn't come out until 1985.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:23 PM   #24
NHL

TCav wrote:
Quote:
The first autofocus camera was the Konica C35 AF, released in November 1977.
So do I get a bonus point anyway... since Konica has merged with Minolta since? :-):lol::G

Quote:
The first autofocus 35mm SLR was the Pentax ME F, released in November 1981, but it was not a commercial sucess. (The autofocus motor was in the lens, not the body...
... and I thought Canon was the only company that put the AF in the lens that turn out to be a blunder as well: :?
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography..._T80/index.htm

-> I should have been clearer, the Minolta AF was actually the 1st system to actually look through the lens for feedback - All other system worked in open-loop i.e. the AF sensors do not rely on the lens optically for the actual focusing
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:27 PM   #25

Preview photos made with A700 are here kids:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1669...0-test-photos/
Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:38 PM   #26
Administrator

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Preview photos made with A700 are here kids:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1669...0-test-photos/
That's cute. Someone had the White Balance set to Flourescent for the first outdoor photo there. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote