Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:27 PM   #1

I must say I am a fan of the a-100 (own one) I also shot with the Canon d40 for a about a week and must say this is a nice camera noise control and features. But is it worth double th cost of the model it replaces? In the case of Sony I think the same question has to be asked. Is there enough there to warrent paying double? even with wireless remote and 2 more meg-pix... I was going to order one then after some thinking I am not sure.. Just some thoughts..
Happy Shooting
Kevin
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:01 PM   #2

I think there's enough new technologies, new features and new capabilities to justify the price, and I remind you that, at $1,399,the A700 is the cheapest 12MP dSLR available; it's nearest competition is the Nikon D300 at $400 more.

There are also a number of us still using our KM5Ds that haven't 'upgraded' to A100s, even with anti-dust vibrationand 4MP more.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:33 PM   #3

Thank you Tcav for your input.. For me the jury is still out... we will see though, I am a new tech junkie...hehe

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:44 PM   #4
Administrator

I wouldn't upgrade for the extra 2 Megapixels.

It's going to be a faster camera (Autofocus, frame rate) if you need something faster than what you already have. It will have lower noise and higher available ISO speeds (if you need to shoot at higher ISO speeds).

If you're into shooting low light sports or shooting in conditions that warrant the higher available ISO speeds, faster frame rate, beefed up Autofocus system or other new features you need, then I'd consider upgrading.

It all depends on what you like to shoot and the print/viewing sizes needed. If your existing camera does what you need, keep using it. If not, consider upgrading.

Early adopters of a new model usually pay more anyway (very few vendors discount a brand new model since demand is usually higher).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:30 PM   #5

zoomdaddy wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Tcav for your input.. For me the jury is still out... we will see though, I am a new tech junkie...hehe
Then, will you be asking the same question when the Pro model (the A900?) comes out? How much of a junkie are you? [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:54 PM   #6

And that my friend my be what is holding me back from this one. I have had very good success with my a-100, I like Sony and believe they will produce the most cutting edge camera, I am just not sure this one is it.. I would like to have live histogram and a couple other features. The 900 may be the fix..!!!

Thanks for your input ..very good

Kevin