Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:12 PM   #11

From the EXIF data for the first picture:
# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 250/10 second = 25.00000 second
# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 100/10 = F10.00
# ISO Speed Ratings = 800

With that ISO and that long an exposure, what you are likely looking at is a hotspot near the sensor of your camera. Doesn't have to be very hot to have something show up with that ISO and shutter speed.

See if it vanishes this winter, or if it shows less on the first shot than on the third. Do the experiment to see if the effect gets worse as the camera warms up and let us know the result.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:59 PM   #12

BillDrew
Doesn't have to be very hot to have something show up with that ISO and shutter speed.

Thanks Bill; It was very hot, about 97 when these were taken. It's hotter then, well, you know what I mean, out in Arizona.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:33 PM   #13

The ambient temperature doesn't help, but I suspect the problem is due to heat from the electronics in the camera. A double whammy at long exposures: the electronics are running longer so more heat builds up and there is longer for the sensor to react to the temperature. Higher ambient temperature means less heat dissipation so it is worse at higher air tempertures.

I think the solution is to open your aperature a couple of stops so you can shoot at 6 seconds instead of 25 seconds.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote