Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:48 PM   #1

The Control Dial on my A100 has been behaving erratically for some time now. The problem seems to be getting progressively worse so with two weeks left before the warranty expires I sent it in for service. Hopefully, the problem will be satisfactorily resolved. Any other A100 owners out there experiencing similar problems?

The repair time is estimated to be 4 weeks so I picked up a roll of Velvia and fired up my 22 year old Maxxum 7000. I'd forgotten how much I liked this camera - simple to operate, large viewfinder, nice solid feel and still working fine after 22 years. I wonder if the A700 has the same feel and durability.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:33 PM   #2

probably not
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:24 PM   #3

Got the camera back today. The top assembly was replaced. After a quick try out all seems to be well.

While I was at the store I enquired about a trade up to an A700. Ouch! It seems that my A100 has depreciated 73% in the first year! I think I'll wait to see what the A900 offers. J
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:03 PM   #4

Hey! They'll accept a trade! That's easier than selling it yourself, though probably not as economically desirable.

And congratulations on getting your camera back in better shape than when you sent it. [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:28 AM   #5

Thanks TCav. I'm very happy to get it back. The camera is now out of warranty so I'm hoping that there are no further problems.

For me, the trade-up hit is not worth it. It makes more sense to keep the camera even if one were to get an A700 or whatever. A quick search didn't show many used A100s for sale – 1 at KEH and 1 at Dyxum. I was expecting to see a lot of people dumping them for the A700.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:54 AM   #6

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
... I was expecting to see a lot of people dumping them for the A700.
If nothing else, an A100 is an excellent second camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote