Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:16 AM   #11

I will keep you posted.. I may do the pre order.. Looking forward to getting one in my hands...

Have a Great Day!!!
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:11 PM   #12
Administrator

I'm wondering if they'll launch an advertising campaign, using graphics like I see in some of Flash presentations they've put together. This one is pretty neat:

Flash Presentation about Sony DSLR-A700

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:35 PM   #13

JimC tried to get me to wait for Sony to release the original A100, I didn't and bought Pentax, which was not a bad thing. Canon, and to a lesser degree Nikon, are using their link with professional photographers in order to sell their (very good) product, however SONY, Pentax and Olympus offer innovative technology that works. It all comes down to what you want, if you are going cost no object high end pro then Canon and Nikon are the only shows in town BUT, in the midrange (where the 40D sits), Sony and Pentax offer real alternatives (with Olympus following soon it seems).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:54 PM   #14
Administrator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
It all comes down to what you want, if you are going cost no object high end pro then Canon and Nikon are the only shows in town .
For now.

The A700 is Sony's Advanced Amateur entry. The Pro Body they've already announced is under development (during PMA in March) is yet to come. My guess is that we'll see an early first quarter 2008 launch.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:21 AM   #15

I agree Ira, I look back over the years and see that what we today call an entry level camera was at one time the professional level. The 40D has nice features for advanced users as well (and really your K10D has some nice advanced features) But after more reading and staying true to my first thoughts about which one to upgrade too I think the A700 is the better choice (for me).
I think the A700 pushes that envelope into the pro end.. and at a cost that won't kill your budget.

Happy Shooting
Kevin

zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:49 AM   #16

I must admitthat I too feelsome of the more innovativefeatures are not being produced by neither nikon or canon at the moment. To me it seems they are trying to constantly trying to perfect and old idea ( im a nikon shooter by the way ). Live view only being accepted after others have done the trial period. VR IS in lenses being argued as being more effective than SSS AS SR in the house. Well could be but the effectiveness comes at a price. I recently went to look at the 18-200mm OS lens from sigma. The nikon being wayout of my pricerange.-

Well i almost walked away with a Pentax k100d and a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm for only af fraction more than the sigma would have cost, but still less than what a 18-200mm VR is being sold for.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:55 PM   #17

zoomdaddy wrote:
Quote:
I agree Ira, I look back over the years and see that what we today call an entry level camera was at one time the professional level. The 40D has nice features for advanced users as well (and really your K10D has some nice advanced features) But after more reading and staying true to my first thoughts about which one to upgrade too I think the A700 is the better choice (for me).
I think the A700 pushes that envelope into the pro end.. and at a cost that won't kill your budget.

Happy Shooting
Kevin

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to push Pentax, I am just noting that, like Sony and Olympus, these are the companies that innovate. I think the A700 is an excellent choice, if I could afford it I might almost be tempted (even though I currently own only one, very good, Maxxum lens (a 50mm f1.7 that is magnificent)). I am now firmly entrenched in Pentax because of a significant lens collection, but I believe the A700 is more than a match for the Canon 40D if the specs turn out as good as they look now.

Glad to see you making the right choice.

Ira
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:37 PM   #18

monx wrote:
Quote:
Well i almost walked away with a Pentax k100d and a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm for only af fraction more than the sigma would have cost, but still less than what a 18-200mm VR is being sold for.
Therein lies the issue. Nikon and Canon offer excellent in-lens systems that work more effectively than the in-body systems at longer focal lengths, but at a premium. Lenses with VR/IS are more expensive than similar speced non-stabilized lenses. Sony and Pentax offer a reasonably effective alternative that involves no additional cost and will work with all lenses that are compatible with the camera. I have great respect for all of these brands, but in terms of bang-for-the-buck Sony offers more since all of the older Maxxum lenses (especially the really good ones like the 70-210mm f4 "beer can", the cheap but fantastic first series 35-70mm f4 and any of the primes) will then be stabilized.

As I said, I own Pentax and currently do not have a body with SR, but my lens collection includes M-series MF lenses, A-series MF auto exposure lenses, F-series AF lenses, FA series AF lenses and a single DA lens (the 18-55mm kit lens). If and when I upgrade camera bodies I will have stabilized lenses from 18mm to 300mm at no extra cost.

If I were starting from scratch I could choose any brand, including the big two, but given any "legacy" lenses that work wellI wouldstick with that brand. The gap in quality and features has really disappeared in the last year.

Ira
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:36 AM   #19

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
If I were starting from scratch I could choose any brand, including the big two, but given any "legacy" lenses that work wellI wouldstick with that brand. The gap in quality and features has really disappeared in the last year.

Ira
I agree to a point. But, it seems to me lens options can still be very problematic outside of Canon / Nikon (d40/d40x excluded). I've had a very difficult time helping people in Pentax system especially find quality autofocus lenses for my area of expertise - Sports. Take indoor sports - In canon/nikon I can get a 50mm 1.8 autofocus lens for <$100 or very nice 85mm 1.8 lens < $400. Pentax there are no inexpensive options with autofocus. Same on the longer end for outdoors. The other systems you can find Sigma 70-200 2.8 lenses for $850 - although they supposedly exist for Pentax you can't find them anywhere. Also have sigma 100-300 f4, Sigma 120-300 2.8and the C/N 70-200 2.8 versions. So at least for this type of work, Pentax is still hampered by a lack of options. Oly used to have similar problems but they're getting better.

Then there's lens focus speed - in-lens definitely has an advantage - Nikon AF-S, Canon USM and Sigma HSM focus motors are faster than in-camera focusing.

Also focus systems matter. Sony has a great history of nice focusing systems and Canon / Nikon do as well. From an action tracking standpoint I don't think Oly or Pentax are in that category yet.

So while I agree from a general standpoint with your statement I think at least in this one area certain systems still have a very strong advantage over others. Not that any of this necessarily applies to the OP. And not saying that in other areas of photography Oly or Pentax wouldn't be the winners. Just that it's still to early to say any system works just as well as another for any type of photography. I think you still have to be cognizent of what types of photography you want to do. In many cases the system won't matter - but in some cases it still does. Just my opinion, YMMV
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:09 PM   #20

zoomdaddy wrote:
Quote:
I will keep you posted.. I may do the pre order.. Looking forward to getting one in my hands...

Have a Great Day!!!
I've seen some incredible shots from the A700 around the forums.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote