Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:52 PM   #1

After much (agonizing) thought about which camera to purchase (upgrade to) I finally came to the conclusion that Canon would be a better future upgrade. I like my Sony a100 but my gut feeling is to move into a higher end camera and have the availability of great glass .. Canon is the clear winner here.
Tha a700 may be good but over all we know Canon is great and truly a industry leader...
I just got the 40d and so far I am very impressed (great high iso quality) not to mention the fps..wow!!!! All in All I think it was the right choice for me..

Happy Shooting!!
Kevin
:|
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:01 PM   #2
Administrator

My condolences (just teasing). ;-)

You do realize that the A700 will be shipping within the next 2 weeks, right? It will have a faster frame rate (5fps, which is shy of the Canon's 6.5fps but fast enough for most people), higher resolution, higher available ISO speeds (boost to ISO 6400), super fast Autofocus (without needing a lens with a built in focus motor, thanks to a beefed up in body focus motor, AF sensor assembly and AF algorithms), all lenses stabilized thanks to Super Steady Shot, a really nice viewfinder and much more.

Of course, we'll see a lot of new lenses being annouced as time passes, too (another 8 lenses are being worked on), with high end Zeiss glass available, too (not to mention that Sony is the second largest shareholder in Tamron and has considerable influence with them).

They'll also have a Pro body out (probably first quarter 2008 ), and I'd expect a new A100 replacement sometime around then, too. Sony intends to capture 25% of the DSLR market over the next couple of years, and I think they'll succeed.

Because not as many DSLR users are looking for Minolta lenses versus Canon lenses in the used market (since Minolta was the "new kid on the block"), used lens prices also tend to be lower for equivalent glass.

Minolta made over 16 million Autofocus lenses with a much lower percentage of DSLR owners trying to buy them, compared to the much larger number of Canon DSLR owners trying to find used lenses from the 32 Millon Canon has made. Of course, the Minolta lenses are all stabilized on a KM or Sony DSLR, and they'll all AF faster with the upgraded focus system in the A700. Canon lenses will be limited to the speed of the lens focus motors (all AF lenses in Canon mount require a focus motor in the lens).

AF speed is similar to stabilization from my perspective. If both are in the body, all lenses benefit from better camera body technology (and I'd be far more likely to upgrade a camera body to get better stabilization and AF speed instead of replacing perfectly fine lenses). ;-)

But, Canon is a well liked system. So, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new camera. It's definitely an upgrade over the A100.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:52 PM   #3

thank you for the condolences... You have made some very good points as my decision was between the two. Might be part perception as well, I do want to move into freelancing and have been able to sell some prints from the Sony. As far as features both are very good I do however want the 1.5 frames and I don't think that 2 m/p will make a considerable difference. (I have a fuji 6.3 m/p that turns out stunning results even at 13x19 prints). Anyway thanks for your input.. food for thought for those trying to decide..
Happy Shooting

Kevin

PS.. Remeber this Canon comes with most likely the best kit lens (with is) at the same price as just the body of the a700..imho

Jim by the way .. Don't forget Canon is the offical Camera of the NFL...hehehe

:?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:42 PM   #4
Administrator

zoomdaddy wrote:
Quote:
Jim by the way .. Don't forget Canon is the offical Camera of the NFL...hehehe
Yep, and Pentax is the "Official Camera of the Internet" tm

Don't you love marketing (and associated trademarks)? :-)

We're getting spoiled with all of the new camera technology and the marketing guys and gals are brainwashing many new camera buyers into thinking they need a given brand/model to get good photos ("automagically", of course). It's still fun though.

Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:00 PM   #5

UPDATE !!!! UPDATE!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!

Jim, I must say you may have convinced me to stay with Sony... Really... I will say one thing about the Sony that is Awesome and that is the ability to heal itself of blown pixels.. If you discover one you can move the date up by a month and it will readjust and take care of it.. It is programmed to do this monthly.. I have done it and it works!!
NOW As far as Canon ... I started shooting it today and low and behold out of the box blown pixels.. Very disappointing for a 1,500 camera.. I may just return it and wait for the Sony.. Q/C has got to be better than this...

Still happy Shooting
Kevin

By the way I agree with your last statement...

Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:29 PM   #6
Administrator

Yep, that works (an undocumented, pixel remapping feature).

Of course, now you'll get me in trouble with the Canon shooters. ;-)

Try this with your Canon and see what happens.

Go into your setup menus and select the Sensor Clean menu choice and press OK (locking up the mirror for sensor cleaning). Wait about 30 seconds and power it down.

Rumour has it that Canon has an undocmented bad pixel remap feature during a mirror up sensor cleaning cycle (but, I have not been able to confirm it yet).

Let us know what happens.

Sony's QC is getting much better. According to the latest JD Power and Associates Customer Satisfaction Survey for DSLR models, Nikon is leading, with Sony in the number 2 spot and Canon in the number 3 spot.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

It may take a bit longer before they start getting more market share with their DSLR models. But, I would not understimate Sony. They've got deep pockets, a huge R&D budget, a large distribution network already in place, and they're already the largest manufacturer of sensors used in digital cameras. They're in the number 2 spot for non-DSLR digital camera marketshare already. Their entry into the DSLR market is going to be really interesting to follow.

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7

Here the deal I bought a XTI last year with in 100 shots it broke down.. Had good insurance traded for the A100.. So my thinking was give CANON (big name) another try with this new one.. I know blown pixels happen but out of the box in unacceptable.. imho...

We Shall See..........:?

Kevin

And Jim, Thanks for your input very much appreciated!!

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Look on the bright side, at least it sounds like you've got good insurance on them. ;-)

You can get bad products from any manufacturer. Unfortunately, it happens. If you decide to see if the cleaning menu choice fixes it, let us know if it worked or not. I haven't seen anyone confirm it yet (but, I've heard that Canon may have an undocumented remap via the cleaning menu choice that remaps when you lock the mirror up that way). It may or may not be valid. Sometimes rumours are just rumours.

Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:45 PM   #9

Ok I tried as you stated...And...........................

No Cigar... DID NOT WORK!!!!

Rumor BUSTED.........

Sony Here I come........:G

Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:58 AM   #10
Administrator

Oh well. Thanks for checking it. I'll quit repeating it.

As for the new Alpha 700, let us know if you get one. Sonystyle.com is taking preorders now with an expected availability date of September 28th. So, I'd expect that the larger camera dealers should also be getting their first shipment sometime within the next few weeks. I've noticed a few other dealers taking preorders, too (for example, Wolf/Ritz also lists it at $1,399 for the body)

It probably won't be discounted much (if any) for a while though. New camera models tend to be in high demand.