Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1

Hey i have no clue what flash to even start looking at
and i keep hearing something about this hot shoe thing, what is that, will i need it?

What flash do u recomend?

i feel so dumb.
ellenphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Administrator

That depends on what you mean by "hot shoe thing".

If you mean the hotshoe itself, that's where the flash attaches to the camera. You'll see a small cover over the built in flash that you can slide off. That's the hotshoe under that removable cover (where a flash can slide in).

It's a proprietary hotshoe design, so only flashes designed for this shoe will fit into it.

If you mean something else by "thing", my guess is you're talking about an adapter to give the camera an ISO standard hotshoe (so that it can accept more flash models).

Here is a recent thread where someone asked about flashes compatible with the Sony Alpha 100. The answers in the thread would also apply to the Maxxum 5D (which uses the same hotshoe design and can use the same flash models):

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3

i feel so stupid, thank you
ellenphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Administrator

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. You asked.

We weren't born knowing what a hotshoe is. ;-)

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:52 PM   #5

Hi there!

I have a KM5D and the Minolta 3600HS flash. Love the flash, it exposes perfectly almost every time. Wireless function is really neat and quite useful. I paid about $175 for a used one on ebay last year. They're still going for about that amount. However, at the time, the Minolta 5600HS prices were thru the roof. I just checked and they've come down quite a bit to about $250. Personally, I'd pay the difference to upgrade. The newer Sony badged version (HVL-F56AM)is running $350-$400. The 3600HS is great, but the 5600HS is more powerful, has manual options, and can rotate to the portrait position. I didn't realize how important this is, I sure wish the 3600HS could do that.

Of course, others will have some more frugal ideas. I just want to put the thing on my camera and have it work every time. Before I got the 3600HS I tried to save a few bucks by buying a Promaster, supposedly compatible with the KM5D. Well, it wasn't, so I returned it to get the 3600HS. Haven't had a single problem.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Adorama seems to have pretty good prices (~$219.95, $309.95) on the Sony branded shoe mount flash models that are compatible with the 5D. For all pracical purposes, they are rebranded Minolta 3600HS (D) and 5600HS (D) flash models and should work just fine on Konica Minolta or Sony Alpha DSLR models.

You have to click on a button to get a price by e-mail. So apparently Sony doesn't want them advertising below a set price.

http://www.adorama.com/ISOHVLF36.html

http://www.adorama.com/ISOHVLF56.html

Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:37 PM   #7

Yeah, but B&H doesn't have that problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Flash.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Flash.html

Neither does Canoga.

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=35989

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=35988

Maybe Adorama is trolling for e-mail addresses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:40 PM   #8
Administrator

I don't think so. They probably have to agree to a lowest price they'll advertise to get co-op support from Sony (speculation, but that's my best guess). Manufacturers sometimes agree to supplement a vendor's advertising budget if they agree to certain terms and restrictions.

BTW, it looks like the Canoga Camera prices you linked to are higher than both B&H and Adorama (and B&H and Adorama have virtually identical prices on these models).

Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:45 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
BTW, it looks like the Canoga Camera prices you linked to are higher than both B&H and Adorama (and B&H and Adorama have virtually identical prices on these models).
Yeah. I've noticed that Canoga always has great prices on stuff they don't have in stock. It reminds me of an old joke.

Customer: "How much is your ground beef?"
Butcher: "$1.39 per pound."
Customer: "The butcher across the street only charges $1.19 per pound."
Butcher: "So why don't you buy it there?"
Customer: "He ran out."
Butcher: "When I run out, I only charge $1.09 per pound."

Am I off-topic yet?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:38 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Yeah. I've noticed that Canoga always has great prices on stuff they don't have in stock. It reminds me of an old joke.

Customer: "How much is your ground beef?"
Butcher: "$1.39 per pound."
Customer: "The butcher across the street only charges $1.19 per pound."
Butcher: "So why don't you buy it there?"
Customer: "He ran out."
Butcher: "When I run out, I only charge $1.09 per pound."

Am I off-topic yet?
TCav, thanks for your beef! :lol:

Back on topic - I wonder if ellenphoto is aware of the lazy eye problem? I use both the 3600HS(D) and 5600HS(D). They are great flash units but lazy eye is very much a problem when using them for people/pet pictures etc. JimC's suggestion is both economical and avoids the lazy eye problem if you don't mind using manual settings. I'm considering trading in the Minolta flash units for a Metz 54 MZ4 jus to get the thyristor controlled Auto mode and hopefully eliminate the lazy eye problem.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote