Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:00 PM   #1

I have'nt had my 200-500 lens on my 5D for a while and while I was looking for a circular polarizer I checked the Tamron website to verify the filter diameter (86mm).

When at the website I noticed this

Compatibility with Minolta Maxxum D - October 2005
Take caution when using models A061 (AF28-300mm Di), A09 (SP AF28-75mm Di), A05 (SP AF17-35mm Di) and A08 (SP AF200-500mm Di) with the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D.

Turning the camera power back on while the compact flash access lamp is still lit leads to a malfunction of the AF (auto focus) mechanism of the camera. Make sure the access lamp is not lit when turning the camera power on.

In order to prevent this malfunction (ex. AF coupler running idle), turn the camera power off and turn it back on after the access lamp is no longer lit.

Please contact Tamron's service department at 1-800-827-8880 or email [email protected] for details.

What is the compact flash access lamp? Maybe that small red light?

Can anyone elaborate on this?

I haven't had my lens that long and have only used it a few times, bbut I'm glad I read this before I messed things up.

Now only if I had a better understanding of what not to do.

Thanks for any help. Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:44 PM   #2

The Access Lamp is the camera's "Drive Activity Light", that LED on your computerthat lights up whenever it's reading or, more importantly, writing to the disk.

As with your computer, it's a bad idea to turn off your camera while the Access Lamp is lit, but because the camera is battery powered, turning it 'off' doesn't actually turn it off. If you flip the power switch to the 'off' position while the camera is busy, it will keep on working, and when it's done, then it will turn itself off.

This warning states that , if you turn the Maxxum 5D off while the Access Lamp is still on, and then turn it back on while the Access Lamp is still on, then you can have the problem they describe.

I don't ever turn my KM5D off while the Access Lamp is lit, so I can't possibly turn it back on while the lamp is lit, so when I saw this warning, I didn't worry about it.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:50 PM   #3

Thank You very much for clarification on that Tcav. I figured it was that little red light but this warning caught me by suprise. Guess I missed it earlier.

Mike
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:22 PM   #4

It's also not just a Tamron issue...it will do the same with any lens.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the info Mr. Super Moderator. Guess thats something to pay attention to.

By the way, if that happens is there a way to fix it?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:20 AM   #6

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
By the way, if that happens is there a way to fix it?
Yes. When the Access Lamp is out, turn the camera off, and then back on again.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:14 AM   #7

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
It's also not just a Tamron issue...it will do the same with any lens.
I haven't thatto be true with any other lens I own including some of my other Tamrons not on the issue list. The only lens I ownwith this issueis Tamron 28-300mm. Though technically mine is actually not on the list because it is an XR.It is only supposed to happen with the DI version. I have called them and written them and they told me if it is happening on the XR model that I should send it in.

The reason I tried it with my other lenses is that I experianced the problem before I stumbled across the issueon their website and I was trying to rule out the camera as a problem. I only own KM or Tamrons andalthough I don't have every model, I have over 10 lenses and only the 28-300mm has this issue.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:22 AM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
This warning states that , if you turn the Maxxum 5D off while the Access Lamp is still on, and then turn it back on while the Access Lamp is still on, then you can have the problem they describe.

I don't ever turn my KM5D off while the Access Lamp is lit, so I can't possibly turn it back on while the lamp is lit, so when I saw this warning, I didn't worry about it.
Just to clarify, the access lamp doesn't have to be on while turning it off. The access lamp goes on automatically when you turn it off. The issue happens when you turn it back on right away and the light is still lit. I only discovered it because I turned it off by accident and turned it back on right away.At first I didn't realize why it happened but then I figured it out when it happened a second time.

The strange part is that if you own a DI version of the lens they just tell you to wait until the light goes out. In my case I have an XR model and they claim it should happen with the XR and I should send it in for repair. I think they are wrong but I might as well spend the postage to find out.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Just to clarify, the access lamp doesn't have to be on while turning it off. The access lamp goes on automatically when you turn it off.
You're right. Thank you.