Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:14 PM   #1
Administrator

Here are a few snapshots from the Sony Alpha 700 that I decided to share, since some members may be interested in using one in very low light. It will work out OK for up to 8x10" prints at the highest ISO speeds in lighting like this from what I can see.

These were taken at a local restaurant, where they sometimes have live music on weekends in the bar area. These were taken while sitting at one of the tables.

The lighting is pretty dim there, though (so you've got to catch them when they're relatively still to keep blur from subject movement down). IOW, the majority of the photos taken had some motion blur. lol I'll share a few anyway.

Sony DSLR-A700, Minolta 100mm f/2

All are at ISO 3200, 1/40 second, f/2.5, Tungsten White Balance.

Straight from the camera jpeg fine except for downsizing with Irfanview.

Straight from the camera jpeg fine except for downsizing with Irfanview.

Straight from the camera jpeg fine except for downsizing with Irfanview. As you can see from the blurred hand movement, it's probably not a good idea to jump to any conclusions over sharpness from these images (since shutter speeds are too slow to freeze any movement).

This one was converted to .dng (Camera Raw 4.2 supports the A700) and converted from .dng to jpeg using Irfanview. No changes except for downsizing. All were shot raw+jpeg. I'll play with the raw files more with different raw converters later.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:40 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Nice shots!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:58 PM   #3
Administrator

Thanks Frank. I haven't taken time to use it much yet. I'm curious how it will do in a bit better and more even lighting at higher ISO speeds, versus dim lighting with lots of shadow areas like you find at a restaurant like this.

Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4

congrats on your a700 purchase. thanks for sharing the photos.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Administrator

Thanks Phil. I've been glancing through some of your test shots, too. The noise in them seems to be a bit higher than Dave Etchell's samples over at imaging resource are showing for some reason.

I'm wondering if the settings are different in some way, or if it's unique to your lighting or white balance (since RGB multipliers are applied with different wb settings, noise can be impacted when some channels are boosted more than others to achieve the correct color temperature for the lighting).

Noise at ISO 3200+ is a bit higher than hoped for with the A700. But, it seems to clean up well with third party tools. I was testing Noiseware on some ISO 6400 shots this morning to see how it worked and plan on testing a few more.

I'm hoping Eric Hyman will add this model to Bibble soon so I can see how well Noise Ninja works at a raw level with the images. Sony's noise suppression algorithms could use some improvement. But, with 12MP available, you can lose a lot of detail to noise and still get a usable 8x10" print at higher ISO speeds.

There are Pros and Cons to this many pixels in a sensor it's size. lol

Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Administrator

Here's one more. I made it a little larger. Straight from the camera jpeg fine except for downsizing using digiKam 0.9.2

Sony DSLR-A700, Minolta 100mm f2 at f/2.5, 1/40 second, ISO 3200, Tungsten White Balance.

Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:57 PM   #7

Jim

I know that Dave test shots have better control lighting than I have. I made the shots that are currently on my pbase site handheld with sss on. The lighting was under a skylight in my home. I changed the test shots yesterday. I was testing the sss as well as the different iso levels. I hope that Sony will listen to Dave, Steve and Phil when they review the camera. I still am falling in love with camera. It is fast focusing, sss is great, the quick nav system is unbeliveable great, the colors are tremendous, and the quality of raw photos are really impresive. I have used +2 sharpen and +1 for contrast on my xfine jpg. I think the results are very good.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:50 PM   #8

Looks like well controled noise for ISO 3200.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'd like to see some daylightwith shadows shots to see the dynamic range capability of this camera.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:15 PM   #9

Great shots Jim.... you must have been saving up for this big time
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:55 AM   #10
Administrator

Here's one in different lighting. Shot with a Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8, with the aperture wide open at f/2.8, 1/60 second, with the camera set to ISO 2000.

But, I pushed it over a stop converting from raw using Exposure Compensation (+1.0) and Brightness (+0.33) sliders. So, it's equivalent to around ISO 5000.

Raw Therapee Version 2.2 was used to convert from .dng (I converted the raw files to dng using the Adobe DNG converter to give me more processing options until it's supported by more raw converters).

Luminous Denoising Radius set to 2.4, Color Denoising Radius set to 2.0, Exposure Compensation +1, Brightness +0.33 (pushed over a stop with both combined), Camera White Balance (set to flourescent in camera), all other raw converter settings at defaults.

Attached Images