Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:37 AM   #1

I can set up to use the pop up flash to trigger the Sony F56AM flash under wireless flash function on my 5D, my questions are:

1. Can I use the pop up flash to trigger more than one Sony F56AM flashes at the same time?

2. Can I put the Sony F56AM on the 5D to trigger other Sony F56AM's, but I also need to catch the light comes from the F56AM (the one is on 5D) to the object. What is the settings on each flash?

3. Will the above also works for the A700?

4. How to add wireless devices to trigger the studio flash on A700? What product and model is recommanded?

5. Can I use the Sony 56AM flash (on 5D and off 5D) to trigger the studio flash? With or without wiring? What type of wire or cable should I use?

Thanks for the help.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Administrator

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I can set up to use the pop up flash to trigger the Sony F56AM flash under wireless flash function on my 5D, my questions are:

1. Can I use the pop up flash to trigger more than one Sony F56AM flashes at the same time?
I think so. I don't own any Minolta flashes (other than an older 1800AF). But, from what I can tell, it can trigger more than one. Here's an article that you might find helpful:

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

Quote:
2. Can I put the Sony F56AM on the 5D to trigger other Sony F56AM's, but I also need to catch the light comes from the F56AM (the one is on 5D) to the object. What is the settings on each flash?
See the same article. Gary has one example doing it that way:

Quote:
3. Will the above also works for the A700?
It should work the same with the A700 as it does for the KM DSLR models.

Quote:
4. How to add wireless devices to trigger the studio flash on A700? What product and model is recommanded?
If your strobes can be triggered optically, you can set the A700 to a lower manual power setting and trigger them (note that manual power settings were missing on the KM 5D and A100, but Sony added this feature back into the A700).

You could also use third party optical triggers or radio triggers. You'd probably want a hotshoe converter if you wanted go that route. Gadget Infinity (a reputable Hong Kong based vendor) has one that I use. Note that it does *not* have any voltage protection built in. So, you want to stay with lower trigger voltages unless you use something like a Wein Safe Sync to isolate higher voltages from the camera's hotshoe.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

You could also use the A700's built in sync port to trigger studio strobes via a PC Sync Cord connection. It should be fine with strobes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts, so you wouldn't need any voltage protection using it with most strobes that way.

Quote:
5. Can I use the Sony 56AM flash (on 5D and off 5D) to trigger the studio flash? With or without wiring? What type of wire or cable should I us
The 5D does not support manual power settings (the Sony A700 and KM 7D do) and the camera will use a metering preflash. So, the studio strobes would trigger on the preflash instead of the main flash. I don't know if you can set the 56AM manually to eliminate the preflash or not. If not, you can get around that issue by using digital aware optical triggers if you want to go that route.

Wein makes a "Digital Aware" slave trigger that is designed to ignore preflashes. They run $79.95 a 3 pack at B&H (or $34.95 each).

Wein Digital Peanut Slave Triggers

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:29 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
See the same article. Gary has one example doing it that way:

Using the F56AM on the camera hot shoe as a wireless controller is not supported by the A100. Is this also the case with the 5D and A700?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:23 PM   #4
Administrator

I don't know. I couldn't tell otherwise from Gary's article. But, I don't have any Minolta flashes to test it (other than one old Minolta 1800AF I got with a Maxxum 7000 camera kit).

I use inexpensive Sunpaks for my flash system (Sunpak 333 Auto I got for $25 from B&H and a Sunpak 222 Auto I got for $7 from keh), and I spent under $50 for my entire flash system. ;-)

From what I can tell, it looks like Gary used an on camera flash and two off cameras flashes in his first example. But, I don't have a way to test it so it may not work properly with digital (and I do see where he mentions ratio flash doesn't work with Digital in the article).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:02 PM   #5

This post suggests maybe not for the A700:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21021
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:47 PM   #6

Thanks JimC for the detail information.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote