Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:20 AM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Got one! Of course it's not f/2.0, but I might be able to make do.
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure you'll make do - many people say the size thing is a myth.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Good luck with your quest! The Minolta 135mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I haven't used mine very much sine I got it - too busy shopping for more lenses!
Got one! Of course it's not f/2.0, but I might be able to make do.
The 135mm f/2.8 is a good lens if you've got room to use it. From time to time, I bring it along on early morning fishing trips with my brother-in-law.

I took both lenses (100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8 ) with me a few months back on a Sunday morning in July. Here are a couple with the 135mm f/2.8, taken on the banks of the Ogeechee River near Guyton, GA.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Administrator

Another with the 135mm f/2.8

Attached Images

Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Administrator

I usually prefer a wider lens for landscapes though. That's where the 100mm comes in. :-)

Here's one with the Minolta 100mm f/2, taken at 6:38AM on that same Sunday morning

Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:12 PM   #15

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The 135mm f/2.8 is a good lens if you've got room to use it.
My wife competes in the equestrian sport of Dressage. When events occur outdoors, my Beercan is great, but for clinics and lessons that happen indoors, I get shutter speeds around 1/25" which doesn't work very well. I'm hoping that a maximum aperture of f/2.8 will get those shutter speeds back up to where I won't have motion blur in every one. (This is trotting and cantering, not galloping, so 1/50" is plenty.)

There's a Dressage show next Sunday that I'll be at with my Beercan, but I want to try the 135 f/2.8 at the indoor ring where she practices. The first time I tried this (she usually wants me videoing her) was with my Beercan, right after I saw that Tamron 90mm f/2.5come and go.

JimC: Great shots, btw, but I'd really like to see some from FrankD and his new toy! After all, this is his topic.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:30 PM   #16

TCav...

Youv'egot the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 how do you like it? I'm contemplating moving to a Sony A100 or an A700 and have been looking at that Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 asa standard general purpose lens.I have a number of old Maxxum lenses to include the 28mm /f2.8 - 50mm/f1.7 -100mm/f2 -135mm/f2.8 and a couple of zooms a 35-135mm and a cheapo Tamron 75-300mm. I have checked all these lenses on the A100 and they all work. Plus I have a number of other accessories for Monoltas that I accumulated over the years that will work on the Alpha series digitals. To give all that up and move to a Canon 40D and have to start over from scratch would be a daunting and very expensive task. As has been noted Sony as was Minoltais/was an inovator in new camera technology and features and generally seems to provide the most "bang for the buck", however, I'm unwilling to invest in the A700 untill there have been a number of in depth reviews of a production unit from the various testing sites around the internet. I remember rushing out and buying a Sony F828 as soon as they were released and later wished I had waited and went with a DSLR, so this time I'll take more of a wait and see attitude. Probably the one shortcomming for Sony in my opinion is their limited flash system. On the plus side for the A700 however, is a pc synch terminal of which I could use my studio lights with. I was very upset with Minolta for a long time as I had bought a DiMage 5 digital and I thought it was the biggest piece of crap of a camera I had ever owned. Sony/Minolta has come a long way from those early days of digital. Having ragged on Minolta for the DiMage5 let me say that my favorite camera was a Maxxum 8000i. Anyway, I'd like to know how you like that Tamron.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:54 PM   #17

I think the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a great lens.

When I bought my KM5D, I got the 18-200 f/3.5-6.3. It did ok for some things, but the more I used it, the more I reallized what a piece of crap it was. I got ahold of a number of used Minolta AF lenses and never really used the 18-200 again, but didn't have anything that could go as wide, and as I've always been an available light photographer (dating back to my SRT-101 & -202), I knew the kit lens wouldn't do it for me. I spent a lot of time looking around and settled on the Tamron 17-50. I'm very pleased with it. It's brighter, sharper, and has less geometric distortion than the 18-200 (which wouldn't be hard.)

I posted First shots with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on my KM5D a while ago after I first tried it. It contains some sample shots.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:58 PM   #18

I think I'll probably go with the Tamron with whatever camera I end up getting. For the price and quality of the Tamron lens you can't buy anything comparable in a camera name brand lens. I may wait till the after first of the year or so, unless something comes up on sale Thanksgiving weekend or during the holidays. I have my Sony f828 which is a very capable camera to tide me over till I get a DSLR. Speaking of your old SRT's reminded me of when I recently checked out the A100. There has been some comments critical of the noise of the A100's shutter so I paid particular attention tothat when I checked out the camera. I must say rather than a subtle clicking sound it was more like a clunk. I thought, I've heard that sound before! I didn't think the mechanical sounding clunk was of any particular concern. When I got home I went into the attic and dug out my old SRT 102, cocked the shutter and pressed the shutter button and to my amusement it sounded very similar to the A100. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:54 PM   #19

Since I've never used my KM5D and my SRT-202 at the same time, I'd never noticed it. But when you mentioned it, I dug out it out, cocked the shutter, and pressed the shutter release. There it was! I did it again! Again, there it was! I did it again! That's when I noticed that the film rewind knob was rotating.

There's film in it!

I wonder what's on the film?

I seem to remember that Minolta has a lens mount that places the lens closer to the film plane than anybody elses. That means Minolta has always had a unique mirror box configuration, and so, very probably, a distinctive noise. And maybe that's what we're hearing.

Anyway, the Tamrom 17-50 is only available for Canon, Nikon (except the D40 and D40X), and Sony. An alternative is the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 , which is available for everything (including Nikon's D40 and D40X).

And if you decide to dump all your Minolta stuff and buy into another brand, I've got dibs on your 100mm f/2.0!